Chapter 17 - The Raid

Something was seriously wrong with Emma. Somehow she had gone from acting like a clingy jealous girlfriend to a hormone infused harlot in one night. Had she actually flirted with him? Danced seductively in his arms? Not to mention all the crazy and inappropriate thoughts about him flying through her head. Why did he have to be so damn attractive? Ugh.

Whichever way she looked at it, there was no escaping it now.

She wanted him and she wanted him bad.

What on Earth was she doing? And now she was going home with him? Guilt wracked through her for what must have been the hundredth time that day. Suddenly she felt very nauseous.

She reached over to turn off the video that was playing in the cab in a huff. It was distracting her morose thoughts.

“You okay?” Max asked in concern.

“Um, yeah. I just get a bit dizzy in taxis sometimes.” It wasn’t necessarily a lie, but a half truth. That did happen to her on occasion, but not in that particular moment.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” He quickly shifted in his seat next to her, opening the window halfway and turning the AC vent towards her direction. “Here, lean forward a bit,” he said moving his arm behind her and securing her in place. “Hopefully you won’t move around as much this way,” he said kissing her forehead.

He was too perfect sometimes. She sighed and leaned her head against his shoulder. “Thank you, Max.”

“Anytime, sweetheart,” he whispered back.

“Okay, I really was trying not to say anything, but that was just adorable. I’m so proud of you, Maxi,” Mia chirped up in her seat next to him.

“I’m dying to know up here,” Leo said, turning around from the passenger seat in front.

Oh right, they had an audience. One where all her stupid rules were quickly breaking one by one in front of.

Max shrugged. “It’s nothing,” he said quietly.

That was the second time he had dismissed something between them. She should be happy about that. Instead, it stung like a bitch. Why did it feel like she was being tossed to the side?

Luckily, the cab arrived to the hotel and she quickly got out to the much needed fresh air. For some reason, Max hadn’t let go of her hand and hit the sidewalk just as quickly as she did.

They all walked into the lobby, Leo and Mia whispering conspiratorially behind them. Emma hoped they weren’t talking about them.

“What are you guys gossiping about back there?” Max turned around to ask.

Mia immediately flushed. “Oh, well we…” She stopped to look at Leo and they were both suddenly smiling at each other like a couple of young teenagers. They seemed to be having some silent conversation just by looking at one another, until finally Leo nodded at her, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.