Chapter 11 - A Slight Indiscretion

It was a cool day in March when Emma was suddenly startled in her seat in the middle of a new class with Professor Davis. She had heard he was quite the character, but certainly did not expect the comment he yelled out across the room from one moment to the next.

“Mr. Durant. You do realize the learning in class takes place up here, right? Staring at your peer all semester will not get that accomplished.”

Emma had her head down at the time being as she had been taking notes, but instantly felt the entire class look in her direction. Oh, god. Max had been staring at her? She tried really hard not to blush, but the instant chorus of “oooh” in the room pretty much sealed the deal.

The classroom was so silent afterwards she was able to hear Max adjust his position behind her from across the room and clear his throat. “Sorry, Professor Davis.”

Davis continued on seamlessly with his lecture, so she tried to pretend as if nothing had happened. She was so mad at Max at the moment though. Whatever happened to laying low? How could he be so careless? If word got out about this, she would be dead meat.

Thoughts of that nature raced through her mind for the remainder of class, but once it officially ended, she tried to get out of the room as quickly as possible.

“Miss Blake. Will you hold back a minute?” Professor Davis said, halting her in her tracks. She hesitated for a moment and then went up nervously to the front of the room as she watched the rest of the students file out.

“Not so fast, Mr. Durant. You too,” he called out as she approached him.

She internally grimaced as Max went to stand beside her, who shot her an apologetic look before facing Professor Davis.

Davis folded his arms as he took his time to study both of them. After what seemed like forever of his scrutinizing, he finally spoke up and addressed Max. “I knew having another Durant in my class would be nothing but trouble. I was hoping you would be different than your brother, but clearly that’s not the case.”

“I’m really sorry, Professor Davis. I didn’t mean for that to happen. I just got distracted for a moment,” Max said.

“A moment? Mr. Durant, you’ve been staring at the girl constantly like a lovesick teenager since my first lecture. I wasn’t going to say anything about it, but it’s gotten to the point that you’re interrupting my concentration. At least your brother and his girlfriend were in different sections. But the two of you together in the same room...I can barely handle it.”

“Professor Davis, if I may,” Emma spoke up. “I’m not exactly sure what you are talking about, but Max and I are not together and he’s certainly not my boyfriend, so you have nothing to worry about. Also, if you don’t mind...can you not say anything about this...slight indiscretion? I would really appreciate it. I’m going to go now that we’ve cleared things up,” Emma said ready to leave.

“I haven’t dismissed you yet, Miss Blake. I don’t know what’s going on between the two of you and frankly I don’t care. But whatever it is, it’s not one sided. So if you could please go figure it out on your own time and not waste mine any longer.”