Chapter 8 - Stargazing

Max kept good on his word and decided to invite the whole team over to his parent's place using the end of the semester as an excuse. The rents were traveling and the twins were out at a birthday party for the day. Which meant he had the entire house to himself. He didn't want to push his luck, but he was really hoping to get some alone time with Emma.

He picked everyone up from school early on a Saturday afternoon right before their Winter break. It was pretty comical seeing everyone packed into his car, just as Emma had joked about. He had taken the SUV this time so people could fit more easily, but he had also made sure she sat up front with him.

Tony had turned out to be a pretty cool bloke, they were currently playing a game of pool in the recreational room and he was completely beating him at the moment.

Of course the girls were all huddled up around the couch area, giggling and whispering conspiratorially as girls usually do. He was surprised to see Emma there in the middle of all that, but she was all smiles at the moment so he could only assume she was enjoying it and having a good time.

She looked over at him at that moment and he winked at her. She instantly blushed like crazy and the two other girls turned to look in his direction and whispered something among each other. If he didn't know any better, they were definitely talking about him.

"Yo' turn, dawg," Tony said nudging him and slightly shaking his head in amusement. "No wonder I beat yo' ass so easy."

He hadn't known Tony was all into the rapper scene and when he talked he sounded more like a wannabe American gangster with a Korean accent. Max was still trying to wrap his head around it and couldn't believe he hadn't noticed it before.

"Oh yeah? Why is that?" Max said as he went to prepare his next shot.

"All I got to say is...you playin' wit fire. You feel me?"

Max took his shot, which he completely missed, and sighed. "Is it that obvious?"

"Yeah, man. That girl... she messin' wit yo head dawg," he said pointing his fingers towards his temple, half mimicking a gun.

"I know," he said running his fingers through his hair.

"You want my advice? The girl...she like you, too. Just be careful man, you seen her dude? That guy destroy you."

"You think so?" Max asked.

"Yeah Max, he rip you in two second. No offense," he said, as he continued to masterfully work the pool table.

"No, I know that part. I meant...you think she likes me?" He felt like an idiot asking Tony this, but he hadn't really talked about Emma with anybody since he met her and knew he couldn't trust his own instincts anymore.

"Yeah man. Her dude...he an asshole. She not do anything about it, though. That fo' sho."

"How do you even know about all this? Do you think others know too?"

"Nah. People...they too into themself to know. I only know cuz I know, ya know?"

"Okay good. So do you mind...not saying anything? I really don't want to get my balls cut off. Especially Emma, she'll kill me for even acknowledging this."

"No worry, man. I help a brother out," he said putting the eight ball away in a corner pocket.

"Thanks, Tony. Appreciate it."

"All good, player. Yo, I'm gon' head out. I see if I take some of these bitches wit me, you know what I'm sayin'?"

"Uh...yeah. Okay," Max said, trying not to laugh at the ridiculous conversation they just had. Who knew he would be spilling his guts out to Tony, of all people? Now, he was his one and only confident. "I have a driver...he can take you guys back if you want," he offered. It was the least he could do.