Chapter 2

Heya there :) 

So this is my second chapter, and I was really glad with the outcome of my first chapter

Thanks to everyone who read and commented, and again I'm new at this so feel free to point out any flaws or mistakes, and I'll try my best to make them right.

I'd love feedback on this chapter as well :) If possible maybe vote and fan?

thanks lot xx KayJ.

************************************************

CHAPTER 2

Erin's POV

As soon as I reached my apartment building, I felt the tension slip out of my shoulders.

I smiled as I pictured Jay sleeping on the couch with the TV still on and an ice-cream bowl at his feet. 

I took the stairs two at a time, not bothering to wait for the lift. My apartment was on the third floor, so I usually took the stairs anyway.

I tried my best to be quiet, but the rusty hinges of the door groaned loudly, making Jay jerk awake. "Damned door," I cursed under my breath.

"Erin!!!" He ran towards me, a smile lighting up his face. He hugged me, the force almost knocking me backwards.

"Whoa there, little guy!" I laughed as I held him against me and spun around into the room. "You're supposed to be asleep." I said faking annoyance.

He pouted, making me grin. I ruffled his chestnut brown hair as I noted how he threaded his fingers together and looked at his feet, something he did whenever he wanted something from me.

I faked a yawn and stretched out my arms behind my head. "Well, since you have NOTHING to ask me.....I am going to bed."

He tugged the bottom of my dress and I grinned, crossing my arms over my chest.

"What?" He immediately blasted me with one of his smiles. This boy sure knows how to get what he wants, I thought to myself.

"Erin....Mrs Paige said that next week they are having Parent's Occupation Day."

OH fuck, I'm doomed

"Well," I said carefully to keep calm. "You just have to tell her that Mum is still away, and really sick."

He looked down at the ground. "When is she coming back?"

It was barely a whisper, but heard it all the same.

I tried to focus on the peeling paint on the ceiling as I swallowed the lump of emotion in my throat. My voice came out soft, and week, hardly the Erin I knew.

"I don't know Jay, I really don't."

I'd decided long ago, that I was never going to let Jay know the truth of what happened that night, and why we were here, just the two of us. I'd be his mother, his big sister, I'd be his anything. And If he needed me to go to his school, even if I had to lie about my age and my job, I would do it.

He didn't need to know the pain of being alone, having to shoulder everything and watch all your dreams be crushed. He still had a great life ahead of him. And I would protect him.

But who would protect me?

******************************************

Riiiiinnnnnngggggg!

RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

"Stupid alarm clock," I muttered rolling over and hitting the snooze button.