Chapter 10 ~ The Contest Chapter

Author's note: Congratulations to our winner, Rose! Wondering what I'm talking about? I had put up a contest for somebody else to write me up a chapter! Rose won this contest, and now, here is your new chapter. Tell her how you like it in the comments so I can make her feel good about writing the chapter :D And now, the Chapter!

Finpaw is on the right.

“Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the saltrock for a clan meeting!” Scarletslash’s voice rang out around camp. Rainyblaze looked up from her have eaten fish and brushed it over to Wolfbreeze who lay beside her. After he downed it in a single gulp they both drifted over to the growing crowd around their deputy.

Sandydust sat off to one side, her tail wrapped neatly around her paws. She had made the journey with Scarletslash to high stones to gain the nine lives of a leader and had only returned a few moments ago. If she or Scarletslash were tired neither showed it. Rainyblaze admired them for it. Having to travel right away to high stones must have been exhausting.

Scarletslash gazed around the clan, taking in the scars of battle and the many faces of day old grief the filled their eyes for Silverstar. “Starclan has accepted me as leader of Oceanclan!”

“Scarletstar! Scarletstar!” The clans voice rose in a chant, Rainyblaze called out, letting the grief of Silverstar strengthen her cry.

As the clan died down Scarletstar began again, “Wolfbreeze shall be deputy!”  Wolfbreeze’s eyes grew wide for a heartbeat, but he recovered as Rainyblaze mewed, “Congratulations!” She pressed her muzzle into his shoulder and gave him a lick. The rest of the clan followed, Sparrowfrost dipped his head and Finpaw smiled brightly up at his mentor’s mate. Rainyblaze could not be more proud. Wolfbreeze stood, “Thank you Scarletstar. I will do my best to serve and protect our clan,” His strong and determined. Scarletstar nodded her head, “To assure that you rise to deputyship without trouble, I name you Leapingpaw’s mentor.” Rainyblaze smiled with pride but it faltered as she caught Leapingpaw’s gaze. She wasn’t certain but she thought she saw malice flash between those amber eyes, but it was gone as soon as it came as Wolfbreeze went forward to meet his apprentice. 

“Leopardpaw, I understand Sandydust is willing to take you in as her apprentice. Is this what you wish?” The spotted silver she-cat, eyes still glazed by the death of her mentor nodded. “Yes.”

“Then let it be known to Starclan, Sandydust is your mentor now!” The medicine cat stepped forward to greet her new apprentice. Falconbelly laid his tail lightly upon her back with a bright smile. With a flick of her ear, Scarletstar ended the meeting to an end.

Rainyblaze turned to her mate as he walked back to her, “I can’t even find the words to express my pride.” Wolfbreeze looked down at her. “Nor can I find the heart to believe it,” He purred and licked her muzzle in return. “Yes, Wolfbreeze, congratulations, you must be honored?” Rainyblaze did her best to hide the contempt that surfaced like a whale as Savannahdream walked up, touching Wolfbreeze’s flank with her tail. Her eyes twinkled as they gazed up at the silver warrior.

Wolfbreeze smiled, “Thank you Savannahdream. I can honestly say I am, though I expected Sparrowfrost to become deputy.”

“Don’t be so humble, Wolfbreeze, but don’t let it get to your head, you are still deputy. Not some newly made apprentice!” Wolfbreeze turned away from Savannahdream as Sparrowfrost butted him in the shoulder.

“Oh, and what warrior congratulates his clan mate with an insult?” Sparrowfrost chuckled and greeted Rainyblaze, “You must be proud, Rainyblaze.” She smiled in return and flicked Wolfbreeze’s shoulder with her tail. “Yes, now if only he could fly!” Wolfbreeze hissed, and licked her ear in affection, “Now that would be a feat, I could catch seagulls in the air!” Rainyblaze couldn’t help but find a little satisfaction as Savannahdream walked off; tail thrashing in frustration as Wolfbreeze quickly forgot her. She turned back to the two warriors as Wolfbreeze asked, “How about you join me for a patrol? As my first task as deputy.”