Chapter 41. Awakenings

Chapter 41

"Combing up and shaping your wet hair 

with a lazy and greedy kiss. I will put my indelible brand of deadly sin 

on the smooth skin of the nape of your neck."

''How long is this stupid thing going to take!?''

His voice was muffled, but loud and close enough for me to get every single word he was saying. He sounded so... distressed. I've never heard him like that before.

''Calm down, Benjamin,'' someone else said steadily, his voice low and firm as if he was training a dog. Of course, I knew who that voice belonged to.

''Shut up,'' Benjamin snapped back when I felt something cold on my skin. What was it? I tried to clear my head so I could figure out what part of my body was feeling this coldness. The coldness squeezed me tightly, and then I knew someone was holding my hand.

''You both need to shut up before you're going to yell both Sarah and Eve off to hell.''

That voice was a bit further away, sounding groggy and tired. Not a hard guess to picture a face with that voice. What did he mean by that, though? Yell me and Eve off to hell?

The more I tried to think of it the more my head started to hurt. I realized I had forgotten what happened to me; I could only remember the whiteness and serenity. What happened before that?

A soft groan escaped my lips and I squeezed my eyelids shut, wishing the pain would disappear just like it did in that serene whiteness. I knew that it couldn't. It was our choice to return to the land of the living if that's where I was now. Wasn't I just dreaming, ready to wake up on a bed of clouds?

Though my eyes were closed, I could sense all eyes on me. The hand which was squeezing me tensed up, anticipation hanging in the air.

I groaned again in response to the pain in my head, trying to open my eyes. The first time I did everything was spinning, and I quickly closed my eyes again.

''She's waking up,'' Dominic muttered, now sounding closer by than before.

''We can all see that Dominic, we're not blind,'' Benjamin snapped.

I opened my eyes again, my eyelids heavy as anvils, and blinked a couple of times.

''What...'' I murmured as my vision slowly started to clear. ''What happened...?''

I groaned, pressing a hand against my temple. I squinted my eyes a little as they met a pair of familiar icy blue eyes.

''Benjamin...'' I muttered as I stared at him.

A chuckle escaped his lips which sounded full of relief. ''Rise and shine, Frump,'' he said airy, though I could still see the concern in his face.

I sighed at his ironic comment and looked around. I was laid on the sofa in the living room, with Benjamin sitting on the edge. Dominic was crouched down next to me, his brows furrowed. Edward was leaning against the wall, his green eyes boring into mine, his face expressionless.

I placed my elbows on either side and tried to push myself up.

''What happened?'' I asked again, observing them all in confusion. Whatever happened before the gateway to heaven thing was still a blur to me.

When I looked at Benjamin his eyes avoided me, looking at the floor.

''You swallowed some of that blood,'' he said grimly.