Chapter 6. Dangerous Night School

Chapter 6

"When she drained me of my very marrow, and cold
And weak, I turned to give her one more kiss-behold,
There at my side was nothing but a hideous
Putrescent thing, all faceless and exuding pus."

My body was tensed up as I glanced between them. My hands were folded together on my lap, and my senses were on high alert. It was hard to relax knowing that you have to expect the worst at any moment. Even now, as I was sitting in the car - more like limousine - with them.

So here I was, wearing a horrible school uniform and sitting in a car with the Parker brothers. My uniform consisted of a knee-length grey skirt, a white blouse with red tie and a black blazer jacket. I wore a thick pair of depressingly grey stockings, with black shoes. Next to me in the leather backseat was my satchel containing my school books. For safety measures, I decided to keep the diary in the drawer.

Edward and Benjamin were wearing black trousers, with the same white blouse and red tie. Benjamin had his blazer jacket unbuttoned, his tie unfinished and hanging loosely around his neck. Edward wasn't wearing his jacket at all; he had a grey spencer over his shirt, making him look like a Gryffindor student from Harry Potter.

 It was awfully quiet in the car, a thick and obvious tension hung in the air. I was sitting fully straightened and stiff as a statue, my eyes going back and forth between Dominic and Edward sitting opposite from me. As I've mentioned before, this was more of a limousine than a taxi or car. Dominic was reading his book, as usual, pushing up his reading glasses from time to time, and not seeming to care or bother to care what was going on around him. Edward had his eyes closed and his earbuds in, his arms folded over his chest. He looked soundly asleep to me.

And next to me - as I should've expected - was Benjamin, his eyes on mine even though I was struggling to avoid his gaze. I tried to look everywhere but at him, feeling his icy blue eyes roaming over me. I could picture that sadistic smirk on his face. Out of all three, he was the one I feared most, I realized while pressing my lips together.

Why wasn't anyone talking?

As if on cue, Benjamin spoke up.

''So, Frump,'' Benjamin said, grinning. ''How do you like it here so far?''

The hairs on the back of my neck went up as I tried to think of a pleasing answer. ''Well some sanity would've been nice, and at least the key to my own door,'' I murmured, still avoiding his gaze. When I realized something though I turned to look at him in confusion. ''Wait... did you just call me 'Frump'?''

He chuckled softly and shrugged. ''Suitable name, don't you agree?''

The nerve of this guy! I suddenly felt the urge to slap him, but clenched my hand into a fist, reminding myself that this was no human. With a calm but threatening voice, I asked. ''And why?''

Benjamin snickered, noticing my irritation. ''Well apart from the dress you wore to dinner your taste of clothes is rather... cheesy. I mean, come on, a penguin sweater?''

My eyebrows creased together. ''How did you...'' Then my face went burning red with embarrassment and anger. ''You went through my stuff!''

He chuckled again, holding his hands up in defence. ''Hey, it was for safety measures. You are still a stranger to us, after all.''

My body froze at his words. Did that mean... he found my phone? I had to check later.

I decided to keep quiet and stared at a spot in the car, hoping my silence would bore him. It did the opposite, however. He leaned in, his breath fanning over my cheek. I squealed, leaning away towards the window.