Chapter 28. Family Feuds

Chapter 28

''You drowned, in the red river

If only your breath could be brought back,

close your eyes

the kiss from both of our sweet lips,

a rusty aroma fills the area''

''Mother's home.''

An eerie silence hung around the room, all I could hear were my heavy breaths as I stared at her. I couldn't believe it. I mean, I knew she was supposed to come back at some point, but I never imagined it would be so soon. I actually hoped I could've escaped before she'd return.

Beatrice was back. She was here, standing a few meters away from me.

I wanted to see the brothers' reaction, but I was too appalled that I couldn't look away from the woman standing in front of us. Surprisingly, even though it was pouring outside, she was dry.

Her lips were curled up into a tight smile, her eyes moving between her sons. I suddenly felt something stir inside me. A hot rage replaced my shock, and I felt my hands balling themselves into fists.

That... nasty... woman...

My eyes widened when I heard the voice echo through my head. It was my own voice, but it didn't come from me. It sounded slightly different, like someone trying to suppress an accent. I gulped, wondering if I was imagining things.

Finally, I managed to move my head, and then looked at the brothers. Benjamin's glare was filled with hatred and disgust, Edward was staring at his - adoptive - mother with a frown, and Dominic's face was just blank. It held the poker face which he had almost all the time.

Beatrice's smirk widened and she put her bag on the floor, spreading her slender arms out a little. I could see her pointy red finger nails.

''No hug for mother dearest?'' she asked, and a shiver ran down my spine. Was this the true Beatrice? The Beatrice who hid her sadism so cleverly all you could do was nothing but like her? My eyes watched her from head to toe, and I drew a conclusion.

In just the few seconds that I've seen her, I already found her a lot scarier than her brothers.

Which was probably an understatement.

When nobody responded she rolled her chocolate eyes and clicked with her stilettos over to Dominic. Before he had time to protest she embraced him, pressing a kiss on his cheek. If I wasn't frightened half to death I would've laughed at the lipstick mark she had left. Through the whole thing, Dominic stood like a statue, his eyes eyeing her blankly.

I saw Benjamin's expression change; he shook his head as if to scare the bitterness away from him. Then he raised an eyebrow, the left corner of his lips curving up.

''How was your vacation?'' he asked coolly, business-like.

Beatrice looked away from Dominic and smiled at Benjamin. Her eyes didn't smile along. She walked over to him grabbing him by the shoulders.

''Very enjoyable, thank you,'' she said just as coolly, and then she patted his cheek. I almost didn't notice Benjamin wincing.

Beatrice kept her tight smile on him for a moment longer before whipping her head sideways to the still seated Edward, her thick brown locks moving along.

''Stand up Edward, let me have a look at you,'' she cooed. She let go of Benjamin and started to walk over to him, completely ignoring me in the process. Edward didn't seem to move however, he remained seated. His elbows were resting on his knees and his green eyes were following Beatrice closely like a predator taking in his prey.