Chapter 4. Nowhere to Hide

Chapter 4

''Do I give up the sun for you

and my soul?

There is more than blood

you silently stole...

Harvest me, brave one of the dark

your immortal kiss has left its mark.''

Pretend? Pretend what! I slowly felt myself going insane, the longer I stayed here.

Dominic whipped his head towards Benjamin and pointed his finger at him. ''You. You did this on purpose, didn't you!''

Benjamin snorted and shrugged again. ''So, what if I did? The whole human act was bugging me.''

They were like completely different people now. Sure, I didn't trust them before either but... Now they were so wild and inhuman, without any sense of guilt or compassion.

Dominic huffed through clenched teeth, looking ready to shove Benjamin through another wall. ''You bastard...''

''H-human act?''

My voice was so soft I barely heard it myself, nonetheless, it still caught their attention. I felt like I was in the spotlight once more, with three pairs of eyes observing me differently. Edward was staring loathingly at me, his green eyes narrowed to slits. Dominic was regarding me with pure hatred and... disappointment? It reminded me of the look that crossed his face just before I had fainted. And Benjamin...

Benjamin was glaring devilishly at me, his blue eyes sparkling as a smirk formed on his lips.

Dominic's eyes averted from my face and shot towards Benjamin. ''I know what you're thinking,'' he rasped out, probably trying his best not to burst out at him again. ''But you can't. Mother needs her for something, which means we can't kill her.''

I nearly choked on my saliva when I heard the word kill. W-what kind of crazy people were they? If I could call them people at all!

Benjamin snorted. ''I'm disappointed in your lack of confidence in me, brother. Who said I'd kill her?'' His smirk widened. ''As long as we keep her alive, I don't see why we can't feast on her.''

Feast on me!?

I have to get out of here. But there were three of them, and one of me. Running all the way to the front door would definitely be a challenge, but maybe not impossible.

While Benjamin and Dominic were snapping at each other about keeping me alive, I had carefully taken a few steps backwards in the direction of the door.

''Hey, you.''

I gulped and froze when I was met with Edward's hawk gaze. Should I just turn and run for it? I slowly peeked over my shoulder and saw the door just a few feet away. I could make it, but...

''Leaving the party so soon?''

I shrieked when I heard Benjamin's voice right behind me, and when I whipped around I saw him in front of me, blocking the door. I turned back around, colour draining from my face when I was met with Dominic and Edward.

I moved away from them as quickly as I could, knocking over a small decorative table. ''What are you!'' I shouted.

All their eyes were on me, a look of pure sadism clear in its depths. A shiver ran down my spine as I took another step backwards.