Chapter 40. Heaven's Door

Chapter 40

''The closer I get, it feels as if the distance to you 

keeps getting further. It is as if you are a hazy mirage 

at the other end of the desert''

Complete and utter silence. That was the first thing I noticed once I regained consciousness. Or at least I thought I did. Never in my life have I heard such a serene silence, so peaceful I wanted to close my eyes again.

The second thing I noticed was that I didn't feel anything. It felt like my body was hovering, but it was like all the pain had floated out like a balloon. I could move and do basically everything, but unlike the other times I was unconscious I didn't feel a thing. It was as if my body was silent just like everything around me. Peaceful. When was the last time I felt like that?

Another difference with the other times I was unconscious, was that rather than blackness everything was white.

My eyes fluttered open slowly, and I had to blink a few times from how bright everything was around me. And I literally meant everything. The floor was white, the air was white. Everything was white.

My hand slowly lifted and went to my neck, my fingers tracing my throat. The poison I felt burning my body only seconds ago was gone. I stared up at the white sky when a thought occurred to me.

Was this what heaven was like?

I slowly sat up and looked around, only staring into white. I looked down at myself and frowned. Where was the dress? The blue ball gown was gone, replaced by my jeans and t-shirt.

If the dress was gone, then...

I pushed myself off my elbows and into an Indian style position and brought my hands where I could see them.

''Unbelievable,'' I muttered in awe as I turned my hands back and forth. There was nothing. No blood, no scratches, not even a scar. It was as if it had never happened.

''You're here as well, I see.''

My head whipped up when I heard my own voice echoing around me, and I looked around frantically trying to make out where it came from.

''Hello?'' I called out, pushing myself up to my feet. I spun around slowly for a few times, but I couldn't see anything except for endless whiteness.

I ran a hand through my hair, thinking I probably imagined it when I heard a giggle.

''You're not hallucinating.''

The voice seemed much closer this time, and when I turned around I saw a figure in the distance. Some colour on the white paper, I thought as I hesitantly took a step forward.

''Are you...'' I trailed off, not being able to think of another person who could be standing so nearby me. It had to be her, there was no other way.

I started to walk towards the figure, already able to make out a female shape. Pinned up hair, an old-fashioned dress, her hands folded neatly in front of her.

The closer I got, the more details I was able to see. The ornament pattern on her skirt, the cords of her corset, the few blonde locks in front of her face slowly blowing even though there was no wind.

I thought my feet weren't helping me get any closer to her, so I started to walk faster. When that started to irritate me I began to run, run so fast I thought I was going to trip and fall on my face.