Chapter 1. Haunted Houses & Portraits

Chapter 1

''Two sharp teeth against my neck trace a pulsing vein

Soft cool breath of sweet undeath makes me twist and strain

Eyes reflecting candlelight burn with fierce desire

This cruel tease hurts inside - passion's fatal fire''

This isn't fair.

The car was driving down an abandoned street, with large Victorian houses. They probably belonged to the rich people who had other houses abroad. I rested my head against the window, watching the trees pass by. In my hand, I was clutching the letter I had to give to my new hosts, the Parker family.

''Why do you have to go, dad?''

I turned my head to look at my father who was sorting out a stack of papers in his lap. For a second it seemed as if his whole body tensed up, and he was ready to crumble the papers in his hands. He swallowed, and then looked up at me, giving me a reassuring smile. I then decided to ignore what I just saw.

''You know I don't have a choice, Sarah,'' he said.

My eyes started to water yet again, a pang in my heart when I thought of the fact that I wasn't going to be able to see my father anymore. At least for a long time, since he had to move away for his work. And considering I had no mother or grandparents - they have died long ago - he decided to take me to some family he had known a while back. He knew in how much pain I was, so he insisted on coming along with me and dropping me off at the house, before continuing on his way to the airport.

''When will you come back?'' I asked, since he had told me he had no idea how long he'd be gone for.

Again, there was that weird emotion going through him, his jaw clenching, his eyes hardening and his body tensing up. I knew that look: it was either when he wanted to hide something or refuse to cry. This time, though, I had no clue which one it was.

We stared at each other for a few seconds, until he averted his eyes and stared back down at his paperwork.

''I already told you. The company doesn't know yet.''

My eyes widened at the sudden rudeness in his voice. I wanted to ask him what was wrong when the car came to a stop. I turned my head to look outside when my mouth fell open. The entire street consisted of large Victorian houses, but this looked like a freaking castle! The huge property was surrounded by iron gates, a massive garden leading up to the mansion which was towering over us. The setting sun was shining its red light from behind the mansion, giving it a mystical atmosphere.

''I'm going to live... here?''

When I looked back at my dad it seemed he was avoiding my gaze. He started to rummage through his papers, releasing a short, quiet laugh.

''Well, you should better get out, they will be expecting you,'' he said, his voice faltering when he looked at me. I could see his eyes glistening with tears, which only confused me more. Why was he acting so shut off all of a sudden?

He leaned over and kissed my temple, before reaching over me to open the car door. I stared at him in shock, since this was completely different from the other times he had gone on business trips. Other times we would be hugging and kissing each other goodbye for at least ten minutes, and now it was like he wanted me to be gone as fast as possible.

Swallowing the lump in my throat I nodded. ''Have a safe trip, dad,'' I said flatly, before stepping out of the car. I thanked the driver as he handed me my suitcase, and was ready to hear the door close and the car drive off.