Chapter 15: Readjusting

Jacqueline is sitting on one of Tony's spare bedrooms in the tower waiting for Bucky to wake up. They had gotten back to the United States around 1 in the afternoon and it was nearing 5 now and Bucky still hasn't woken up. Before boarding T'Challa had informed her that the nurses had gave him several sedatives to help him sleep. According to the nurses instructions they should wear off soon. In the meantime Jacqueline decided to read a new book she found called The Outsiders.

She was almost done with the book when Bucky stirs awake. He sits up in a panic and looks widely around the room attempting to scramble up.

 He sits up in a panic and looks widely around the room attempting to scramble up

Standing up Jacqueline rushes over to the bed and grabs his arms. "It's okay Buck. I got you, you're safe now."

"Jay Bird?" Bucky says, his voice like a child's.

"Yeah Buck. I am right here." Jacqueline says locking on to his gaze.

"Where am I?" He asks.

"You in the United States now,  in the Avengers tower."

"It wasn't a dream." Bucky mutters, "I'm actually free."

"Yea Buck. You're here, you're safe, and you're free." She smiles and he hugs her.

Jacqueline pulls away and begins to ask Bucky what he remembers from the trail, to which he responds saying all of it, including his sentence. Jacqueline explains a little bit more about Bucky's current situation and how she's going to help him get better. After about an hour of two of talking with Bucky Jacqueline gives him some food to settle his growling stomach.

"Eat your food and then get some rest." Jacqueline says.

"Wait!" Bucky exclaims grabbing her wrist, "Where are you going?"

"I'm just going to my room." Jacqueline says. "It's the door closest to the kitchen on the right, four doors down from yours."

"Oh okay," Bucky whispers.

Jacqueline gives him a sad smile, "Please just try and get some sleep."

Bucky nods and watches her walk away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning Jacqueline wakes up to the birds chirping and the sun shining. It was a bit chilly so she grabs a sweatshirt from her closet and throws it on. Jacqueline opens the door and heads to the kitchen only to she trip over something in front of her door.

"What the fu-" Jacqueline stops once she saw what she tripped over.

It was Bucky who is curled up like a dog laying in front of her door. Bucky either sensing her staring, or because she tripped over him, wakes up and stretches.

"Bucky were you out here all night?"

"Yes," He replies in a deep morning voice.

"But why?"