Chapter 2: The SSR

The morning after proved to be one of the most difficult of Jacqueline's life. Standing in the station with Steve waiting to send off Bucky made her emotionally exhausted.

"Hey Doll, look at me," Bucky whispers cupping Jacqueline's face. "I'm going to come back home. And then we can get married, and have kids, and start our life together. It's going to be okay. Remember I promised one day. And I never break my promises."

Jacqueline gives him a kiss. When she pulls away their foreheads are still touching and she mutters, "One Day."

"There you go don't cry Jay Bird." He smiles and whispers away a tear from her face.

Bucky gives Jacqueline one more kiss before giving Steve a bro hug and gets on the train. The Rogers stay on the platform waving as the train pulls out of the station. Jacqueline doesn't move until the train disappears from view and even then it takes Steve to pull her arm to move. The walk back home is quite as Steve has his hands stuffed in his pockets and Jacqueline's kicking along a rock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day Jacqueline was too busy getting ready to head to the S.S.R base that she barely noticed Bucky's absence. It wasn't until after she was done that she felt the emptiness. Usually Bucky would be home getting ready to go to work around 10. Steve wasn't home which made her feel even more alone. Not sure what to do to kill the next 2 hours Jacqueline begins cleaning the already pristine apartment. She was done cleaning in an hour so she decided to read a book she had been meaning to get to it was just recently published titled A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

At 12 on the dot there was a knock at the door. Setting the book down and smoothing out her skirt Jacqueline goes to open the door. Ms. Carter is standing there dressed sharply and her mouth pressed in a firm line.

"Ms Carter please come in." Jacqueline says gesturing her in.

The agent nods and steps in, "Thank you Jacqueline

The agent nods and steps in, "Thank you Jacqueline. You can call me Agent Carter."

"Yes ma'am." Jacqueline responds and goes to grab her things.

"I'm only joking agent. Peggy will do." Agent Carter says quickly with a laugh.

Jacqueline lets out a breathe she didn't realize she was holding. "In that case you can call me Jackie."

Jacqueline grabs her book and suitcase and the two ladies walk out the door. She locks the door and the both get into a cab. Jacqueline is sad she didn't get to say goodbye to Steve but she did write him a letter before she left. Hopefully he'll read it, he can be a bit oblivious at times. She just hoped he wasn't in a back alley somewhere getting pummeled.

The drive was at least and hour long and very quiet. The only sound was the radio playing in the front. Closer to the base Peggy started to tell Jacqueline more about herself. Peggy was the only high ranked SSR agent that wasn't a male. She mentioned going through Jacqueline's file and saying how she impressed she was. She also added that she hoped Jacqueline would be a high ranked agent like herself.