Exposed

~~~New chapter, you'll really enjoy this one...maybe! It short but it was needed. Switching point of veiws between Nikola and Dante again, sorry if it's confusing. Song: Wide Awake by Katy Perry~~~

Dante

It was lunchtime. As always when he came, Anthony had to drag me away from my desk so I would eat something with him. Charla tagged along as we exited the building—I was still uncomfortable with the stares I get downstairs—so we could go find something to eat nearby.

Charla giggled as she suggested we go to a café. My glare stopped her laughter almost straightaway. I was never going to another café with Charla again. Not after yesterday. In the end, we opted to get burgers and fries and head back to work.

I watched Charla smile wickedly at her phone as she rapidly pressed buttons, texting someone no doubt. I flicked a french fry at her to get her attention. “Who you texting? Your boyfriend?”

She smirked devilishly as she put her phone away and took a sip of her soda. “More like boy toy, he’s nothing special. We’ve only gone out of a few dates, nothing more. He works with me and he’s been texting me all day long asking where I am and why I didn’t come to work today.”

Anthony laughed as he finished off his fries. “He sounds kind of clingy. Why don’t you telling him you’re having lunch with two gorgeous brothers.”

Charla thought about it for a minute. “I could but I might also mention one is married and the other is pining away for a girl who could never be his.”

As if in pain, I put my hand over my heart and frowned. “Ouch, why you so mean Charla?”

Charla got out of her chair and sat down in my lap. She put her own hand over my hand. “Aww, is the poor baby’s heart hurt? Want mommy to make it better?”

I had grown use to Charla's playful nature so I didn't immediately push her off. Instead, I smiled at her but I dropped it when I saw a few employees watching our display from outside my private lunchroom. I could already sense the rumors spreading. “My mommy is no longer with us so unless you’re God please get off my lap.”

She got up and went back to her seat. When she wasn’t looking, Anthony tried to steal some of her leftover fries but she slapped his hand away. He pouted and rubbed his hand like it really hurt. “You never told me your mom passed away.”

“Well you never told me your real name was Charlotte,” I countered.

All day, I’d been hearing about Charlotte this and Charlotte that. I had absolutely no clue who the hell was Charlotte. I hadn’t been as close with my employees as I once was but I still knew all of their names…well most of them but I’d never heard of a Charlotte. I tried to listen in on conversations about her but people went quiet whenever I came around. 

Finally, I just gave up and went to Mrs. Shelia. Imagine my surprise when she asked if I really didn’t know my own girlfriend’s real name. At first, I had no idea what she was talking about.

“Girlfriend?”

“Charla.”

“…Charla?!”

“In my defense, I met you at a club. I didn’t know if you were some crazy, psycho stalker. I was taking precautions. Charla is my nickname. Only you used it like it was my real name. After I got to know you, I wanted to tell you the truth but then you started to introduce me to people as Charla.”

Charla made quite an argument. “So your real name is…?”

“Charlotte ‘Charla’ Springs. Like Anthony's nickname is Tony. Easy enough, right? So tell me about your parents.”