Never Absolute

~~~Sorry for taking so long. Here's the new chapter. Even though this chapter features both Dante and Nikola, the focus is more on Nikola now as well as the few next chapters also. Song: Say My Name by Destiny's Child~~~

Nikola

I turned into my driveway and shut off my car. I laid my head on the wheel and tried to relax my brain but it just wouldn’t let me. I couldn’t take this anymore. Maybe I should quit this job, I knew working for Dante was going to be hard but not like this!

After today, I didn’t think I could face Dante again. I couldn’t accept the fact that when he looked at me it’s with love, it was basically torture for him. I felt so guilty!

Staying in here with my thoughts wasn’t healthy. I looked up at the house I share with Ashton. I was getting married to Ashton; he was the one I loved more. Dante was my past, Ashton’s my future. I needed to get over Dante and start planning this wedding.

“Hello baby, you tired?” When I opened the door, I saw Ashton in the living room quickly dressing in his working suit. I checked the time on my phone, 6:30, it was pretty late. Was he going back to work?

He was fully dressed but didn’t have any shoes on. I thought that was what he was searching for when I stopped him and placed my head on his shoulder, “Yeah, I'm tired. I could really use a back massage.”

Ashton gave me a peck on my forehead, “Aww, well I wish I could stay and give you that massage but I have to go back to work.”

I raised my head and looked at him, “Why?”

He shrugged and gave my sides a squeeze, “Emergency meeting for our current case, new evidence just came in.”

I pouted, sad that I would be alone for the night. Why couldn’t this evidence shown up tomorrow? In order to get Dante out of my head, I wanted to spend some quality time with Ashton. “Well, how late do you think you’ll be?”

Ashton shrugged again, “I'm not sure, maybe ten.”

I looked at him like he was crazy, “Ten? That must be a lot of evidence.”

He smiled and gave me a kiss on the cheek. He let me go and went to look for his shoes under the couch. He found them and put them on as fast as he could. “I'm sorry baby but that’s just how the law is.”

“Okay, but hurry back. Love you!”

When he got his shoes on, he walked back over to me. Our lips met for just a bit before he walked to the door, “See you later!”

Not happy with his response, I said, “Wait a second, would you like to try again?”

Ashton smiled and shook his head at me, “I love you too!”

Watching Ashton drive away, I thought about what Dante was doing at this time of night. No! I needed to stop thinking about him. “Since I'm not getting a massage anytime soon, I might as well take a nice, soothing bath.”

After my bath, I got comfortable on the couch and read one of my romance novels. It was about a single mother, Hilary, who dealt with many troubles but preserves for her son, so he would grow up to be a good man. One day, she meets a famous actor but because she’s always working doesn’t recognizes him.

The man, Donovan, takes advantage of this and tries to start a relationship with her but she constantly refuses. It’s too much of a risk for her and she doesn’t trust anyone with her baby boy. These insecurities don’t faze the man and tries all throughout the book to win her affection while keeping his identity a secret. In the end, Hilary finds out who he really is and Donovan proposes to her on national television, which she isn’t sure about at first but with the help of her son, she accepts.