Chapter 16

A/N- Just finished this so that I could upload. Getting some sleep now though. Vote and comment please. That's what will keep me going, even when I'm busy.

~

There are two faces that are shown in the sky today. Eleven alive at this point. There is an opening in the caves overhead where we can see the sky. It isn’t an underground cave, after all, so we aren’t buried underneath the earth.

Danny is tending to his wounds and is changing the bandages. I busy myself with sharpening the dull end of the spear. Without arguing, Danny falls to sleep when I say that I will keep watch.

He has received too many injuries for my liking, and I won’t have his strength diminished along with it.

This cave has so many passages. It is either a haven or a trap for those who have not explored it. I have memorized every nook and cranny just in case something wrong goes on.

It is only a matter of time when we encounter another tribute. I do not know what is happening outside the cave. Maybe the other Careers are doing what they are expected to do.

I can’t imagine them going into the cave though.

It is such an unexplored area where they have no assurance of safety. They will only probably risk it in the morning. The night brings nothing good to anyone. We are in the Hunger Games arena, with enemies at every corner, but even the arena gives us no reprieve.

I focus instead on the net that is growing even larger. Danny has had the foresight to bring vines in his pack. He knows me too well. Only distractions can give me some solace in this arena.

Knot. Tighten them up. My hands hurt. Keep going. Keep going. Loop this. Tie that. Nice and tight. This is starting to look very sturdy. Maybe I can catch food with this when the time comes. Nice and tight. Maybe I can do a Finnick and just trap everyone in here and stab them to death with the blunt spear.

My hands let go of the net when that thought enters my mind.

I cannot believe that the thought has even occurred to me.

I remember the girl at the stream, and how the humanity seemed to have left her eyes when she killed that boy. I shudder as I think of it.

When the time comes, will I be able to do the same?

How could Finnick have plotted to kill people without any remorse? He didn’t seem the kind. He was always that sweet boy who came back not quite the same after he won. He never was the same.

Nice and tight. My hands return to the net. I cannot judge Finnick. I’m doing exactly what he is right at this moment. He was only trying to survive. I am only trying to do the same. I only dread the moment when Danny is gone, or if I go ahead. It won’t be the same for either of us. We have been a solid team since entering the arena. I have no doubts that Danny is the only reason why I have been keeping my sanity for this long. He is the only reminder of home in this foreign area.