Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not own the Hunger Games. This is a work of fan fiction using characters from the Hunger Games world, which is trademarked by Suzanne Collins. All original characters are products of the author, as is the premise and plot. Copyright infringement is not intended and I make no money from posting this story.

~

Fear is a subjective word. Fear can range from the tiny bit of surprise of being clapped on the back, to the few seconds faced by a victim hiding in some small nook while waiting for inevitable death.

But then again, plenty of things were subjective. Hate. Love. Indifference. Anxiety. Pain. Bliss. Weakness. Strength.

What of insanity? What about paranoia? A person cannot openly express this feeling without admitting that he or she isn’t touched in the head. There is something about insanity that closely relates to fear. They stand separately, and yet, they cannot be unknown to each other.

One way or another, insanity is just at the brink of fear.

It only takes one occurrence to put a person on the edge.

My name is Annie Cresta, and these had been my constant companions inside the arena. Even when I asked desertion, they lingered and fed on me. I could only sit and try to block them out, but they pervaded my mind somehow.

Sometimes, I would get distracted, and these distractions were pieces of solace in a mind muddled with fear and insanity. The thing about distractions though, is that they didn’t last.

And so chaos would ensue.

~

A/N-Also, please check out my other completed HG story The Hunger Games: The Tribute of District 4 at http://www.wattpad.com/story/1177807-the-45th-hunger-games-the-tribute-of-district-4