Chapter 1

I hardly move when I hear my name. Isla Hawker, the District 4 escort, repeats it, emphasizing the S in Cresta in her Capitol accent. I still cannot believe it. My glance goes to the others beside me, and they continue clapping politely, but probably thinking that this is going to be the last time that they see me in person.

Of course they clap. This is an honor, and I better start acting like it is. I try not to be timid as I go up the stage. It is difficult though, since the way seems to drag on longer. The sun overheard seems harsher, and not the source of comfort and warmth that is usually brings. The air seems dryer and so does my tongue.

I blink a little because of the sandy air, but I try to smile as I take my place on stage.

“Any volunteers to take the place of this lovely young woman?” Isla says, looking around. There was the occasional volunteer from District 4, but the districts that were the most deluded about what an honor it is to be a tribute, were the ones from District 1 and 2. The people from mine know well enough that a victor means a source of supplies for the whole year. Nothing more.

The volunteers from here probably wanted a better life and thought that they had a shot at winning. Envy can drive a lot of people to do crazy things. Maybe some of them even wanted fame, even if their airtime would only be a short period.

I look distractedly at the view District 4 provides me. It really is a beautiful place to call home, with sparkling blue waters, neat water villages and surrounding trees that made it look like a tropical paradise.

This might be the last time I would get to see this.

Once Isla confirms that no one will step in for me, she slides her hand into the bowl to procure the next tribute.

She says his name as clearly as she stated mine. The boy who is about to go into the arena with me is Danny.

The odds are definitely not in my favor.

Danny is a close friend of mine, since we grew up together. He is a year younger, and I have no brothers, so he acts like mine. He is like family to me. I wish that someone would volunteer for him. He is such a sweet boy. He does not deserve to be here. I cannot see him die.

Going up the stage, I can see that he’s thinking the same thing, from the somber way that he’s looking at me. I hold my hand out for him. Like a little lost boy, he takes it. We stand side by side, holding onto each other’s hand as if it tethered us to the Earth. This wasn’t a show of good sportsmanship or an act of two united tributes.

This was an image of two desperate children with a common sorrow and fear, preparing for the event that they have prepared for their whole lives. And yet, this is not part of their plan. This has been chosen for them.

“Doesn’t this image just warm our hearts?” Isla says, smiling as Danny and I stare in front of us. We see everything, but we see nothing. “Aren’t the two of them lovely? I know someone who finds this young woman lovely! Don’t we, Finnick?” She turns toward one of the two victors who are mentoring this year.

Finnick Odair. Everyone loves him. He’s one of the most handsome men in the district, no doubt, and one of the most talented Careers in the history in District 4, being only 14 years old when he won. That’s the youngest any tribute has triumphed in the arena. He was charismatic and charming. If only I have those qualities to help me get through the arena, but I am no Finnick Odair.

That had been five years ago. He was only nineteen, just three years older than me, and I was to rely on him to keep me alive.

He smiles and grins playfully. “Definitely someone to watch out for.”

I don’t swoon or blush. I am too preoccupied by the sweltering sun and the tight grip of my friend. He is stronger than I am though. I’m not much of a fighter. My arms and legs are only good enough for swimming, which I am adeptly capable at.

“Now, Mayor, if you please.”

The mayor goes to the podium and states the Treaty of Treason. This is the ending ceremony of the reaping. After he stops speaking, the anthem of Panem plays.

I look at the crowd quickly as this plays. I see my friends looking at me. I see my family trying to look determinedly strong. They were what I wasn’t. While my heart is weak and susceptible, theirs are strong-willed and determined. They have the qualities of a warrior, a District 4 Career. I’m not part of that norm.

We are both ushered into the Justice Building. This is where I will be giving my last goodbyes. Between Danny and I, he would be the one most likely to survive.