24- The Bite

"So you know what this means," Sirius said to Harry and Venus as they brought up the rear of the group.

"You're free," Venus finished.

"...and technically I'm both of your guardians, I mean I'm Harry's godfather and Venus's father," Sirius said, "of course I'll understand if you two want to stay where you are, but if you wanted a different home- once my name is clear of course-"

"What live with you?" Harry asked, "leave the Dursleys?"

"I thought you wouldn't want to.... I just thought I'd offer..."

"Have you got a house?" Harry asked quickly, "when can I move in?"

"You mean it?" Sirius grinned, "you want to."

"Yeah I mean it." Harry grinned back.

Sirius looked at Venus, "and you."

Venus bit her lip. Did she really want to leave the only family she had ever known and go to live with her birth fater?

The prospect was tempting, but Venus wasn't sure it was what she wanted. She loved her parents and siblings. There was no way that she wanted to leave them.

But then there was this man. Sirius. Her birth father, who at been with her as a baby, who hadn't really wanted to leave her.

"Can I think about it?" Venus asked weakly

Sirius's grin faltered slightly, but he ruffled her hair anyway.

"You look a damn lot like your mother kid," he told her, "that's how I knew it was you in that picture, that was the first time I'd seen you in twelve years. Scared me a bit mind you." Venus laughed, Sirius rubbed the back of his neck, "and- uh- I am sorry about that body bind curse."

Venus shrugged, "no biggie." She thought for a moment. "That big black dog was definitely you right?"

"Yes," Sirius laughed a throaty laugh, "one of the first things I did was to find where you live so I could check up on you."

"You sent the brooms too didn't you?" Harry interjected.

"Consider them twelve years of birthday presents that I never gave you." Sirius replied.

They didn't speak again until they were out of the tunnel.

They group trudged forwards and then suddenly Proffersor Lupin froze. Hermione glanced up at the full moon.

"Oh no!" She exclaimed, "he forgot to take his potion tonight!"

"Run!" Sirius told them, "I'll handle this."

"But Ron-" Harry protested.

"Go!" Sirius said. He shot Venus a pointed look.

Venus didn't need telling again, she hurried off in the direction of the school, but running seemed to antagonise the werewolf.

As soon as it was free from the manacles it ran in her direction. She felt Lupin's claws rake across her back.

Venus cried out in pain as she felt claws rake down her right leg. She fell to the floor, in a haze of pain and confusion. More scratches came, one down the side of her face, and then strong jaws clamped around her leg. They were quickly torn away and Venus began to drift in and out of consciousness.

She hardly noticed the passing of time. She hardly noticed being carried back up to the castle.

The next thing she knew she was waking up in an unfamiliar hospital room.

She sat up in bed.

"Venus!" Molly Weasely was sat beside the bed, holding Venus's hand tight in her own.

"Mum?" Venus looked around, to see her father standing on her other side. "Where am I?"

"St Mungo's." Arthur Weasley told his daughter, "do you remember what happened?"

Venus rubbed her eyes, "I was in the Shrieking Shack- Black was there and so was Lupin and then Scabbers was Pettigrew, then we went outside and- oh Merlin!" She looked at her parents, "did I get bitten?"

Molly stifled a sob and bit her lip, Arthur took his daughter's hand in his own.

"Yes," Arthur told her, "The healers did everything that they could, but you got bitten."

Venus was in slight shock, but looking at her parents faces told her that she had to be strong for them. "I'll be okay." She told them, "I promise."

"Yes," Molly sniffed again, "of course you will." She glanced at the door, "there's a few people who wanted to see you when you woke up- if you're feeling up to it that is."

"Of course I am." Venus put on a brave smile.

Her parents left and to Venus's surprise the first person to come through the door was Professor Lupin.

"Venus," he stood at the other end of the room, a look of utter regret on his face, "I cannot begin to apologise for what I have done to you, I will never-"

"It's okay, really, you couldn't control what you were doing, I understand," Venus was still in shock, but the look on Lupin's face made her want to give him a hug.

Lupin didn't say anything, he just sat down on the end of her bed.

"I will never be able to make this up to you." Lupin looked much older than she had ever seen him. "I hope you can one day forgive me."

"Already forgiven."

They sat in silence for a while longer, before Lupin quickly bid her goodbye.

Her next visitors were much less depressing.

Ginny and Mali piled through the door and both of them pulled Venus into a hug.

"You're okay!" Ginny exclaimed, "I was so worried, there were all these rumours flying around school, no one would tell me anything!"

"The healers did everything they could," Venus shrugged.

"You're going to look so Badass with all those scars!" Mali grinned.

"Yeah! I guess I will," Venus laughed. She hadn't yet looked in a mirror, but from what she could remember she had been scratched all down her back, her right leg, her face and arms. The bandaging and pain confirmed it. Venus was so thankful that her sister and best friend hadn't bought up the werewolf situation. Venus feared that she might burst into tears if it was bought up again.

The two girls pulled her into another hug.

"Guys I'm fine!" She told them, "really! There's nothing to worry about."

Ginny didn't seem convinced, but Venus insisted that she felt fine.

They left not long after.

Venus's next visitors were Harry, Ron and Hermione.

"Pettigrew escaped," Harry sat in the chair next to her bed dejectedly.

"What about my dad?" She looked between them, "the Dementors didn't get him did they?"

"No," Hermione said quickly, "he escaped on Buckbeak the Hipogriff."

Venus smiled in relief, "that's all I needed to hear."

"You're okay thought," Ron asked, "you're going to be okay."

"I'm fine." Venus promised.

The Venus looked around and saw pity in everyone's eyes.

Here marks a turning point in Venus's story.
How do you think she will deal with her new Werewolf status?
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx