|Burglarizing|

She never thought stealing would become such a common thing

Evie awoke the next morning prepared, knowing that wherever they were headed would be another step closer to bringing her mother back. And another step closer to Evie's freedom from the Shadow world. However, the lack of sleep she had and the exhaustion from the fighting had left her groggy and an unusual feeling of violence she had to wash away. Therefore, she went for a shower. Evie was unaware of exactly how much time she spent in the shower. However, the feeling of the hot water running down her back encouraged her to stay longer inside. It was almost as if she could physically see the stress and emotions from the day previously running down the pipes as the water continued to run.

Eventually, she left the shower and begun to get dressed in her bedroom. She wore a pair of denim dungarees which were slightly washed in colour. Under these, she wore a grey jumper. The main problem for Evie, as she was rolling the bottoms of the dungarees up slightly, was the shoes she didn't know what shoes to wear with them. However, she remembered the box she had returned to the night previously. On her bed had been a mixture of boxes. One of which seemed large enough to fit a pair of shoes in. Therefore, she was pleasantly surprised to see a pair of grey timberlands inside. She had no clue who the shoes had come from but they were beautiful and just her size. She matched it with the same jewellery she wore the day beforehand. Then she did her makeup. She focused more on a slightly darker eyeshadow look on the eyes to match the grey colours she wore in her outfit. Her lips were a nude colour.Evie was enjoying putting more effort into her appearance. She hadn't put this much effort in since the crash. Gret had always declared how she loved Evie just as much with or without makeup but liked it when Evie put an effort into her appearances for these were the days that Evie was truly happy. 

She walked her way down to the kitchen her mind set on breakfast and nothing else. Evie was desperate to eat before having to set off on whatever strange mission they forced her to go on today. She knew that Luke wanted her to come along when they went to retrieve the mortal cup from wherever they assumed it was hidden. She chewed her cereal slowly as Clary and Jace walked into the kitchen obviously looking for her.

"Ready to go?" Jace asked to which Evie only motioned to her food. A sighed passed Jace's lips as he realised that they were going to have to wait for her to finish before they could leave. This was why Evie slowed down more if it was even possible, enjoying the looks on both Jace's and Clary's faces. She was going to drag this out. Nearly 10 minutes later Evie finished, and the group of three headed out to meet Luke at the police station, Evie trailing behind the couple letting them talk among themselves. The distance she left between them and herself was not large enough for her to not be associated if someone was to see the three but was big enough that she didn't get asked to join in their conversation. Eventually, they reached the station where they stayed under the magical spell which made them invisible.

Evie watched as the events play out in front of her. First Luke attempted to get to his stuff. He was shortly arrested afterwards by a supposed internal affairs officer. Though Evie was sure this was a disguise and that Valentine had sent his men after Luke. She then watched as Clary attempted to get the cards from Luke's belongings by pretending to break up with Jace. However, is she really looked close she could see that some of the fake breaking up seemed to show real feelings. Great there was something between Clary the overconfident and Jace the bigheaded. She was sure their children would be a nightmare.She watched as the pair walked away dejected, Jace having to call for backup realising they would need additional support to steal the cards. During this time, Clary had received a call from a rather panicked Simon, yet Clary brushed him aside more concerned with whatever was impacting her at present. Because, of course, Clary's problems would forever be worse than everyone else's. Evie sent a message Simons way. 'Hey Simon, it's Evie. I overheard part of your conversation with Clary. You sound petrified. If you want someone to talk to I'm here.' Yes on most days Evie wasn't overly fond of Simon. He seemed too clingy towards her sister. However, he had begun to treat them as if they were individuals. Plus it seemed as though once again she was clearing up behind her sister fixing her mistakes.

Shortly after Jace hung up his call Izzy and Alec appeared. Despite still feeling salty about the siblings treatment of her Evie was still happy to see them. For no longer would she be subjected to whatever was going on with her sister and Jace. Therefore, she remained with the two siblings allowing Jace and Clary to go ahead, certain that there was no additional space for another person with there two head the size of planets. Evie racked her eyes up and down Izzy as per usual. Once again the girl had dressed phenomenally. Despite hating these feelings and urges she had, Evie couldn't help but stare. This staring went noticed for once. The only person she was aware caught her was Alec who rose a single eyebrow in her direction. However, she was completely unaware of Izzy who too noticed the staring as she too looked Evie up and down.

"So Xander, you have two choices. Either you tell me now exactly what happened last night between you and loverboy or you can tell me when we get back to the institute." Evie started the conversation off with giving a small wiggle of her eyebrows. Even if she was feeling off about the two siblings and her own love life was poor, Evie still wanted to help her friends get their love lives sorted. Whilst awaiting his answer she began to unbutton the top two buttons of Alec's shirt and rolling the sleeve up to just below his elbows. 

"Why are you doing this Lele?" he questioned in response. Yet before Evie could reply to his question Izzy had beaten her to it.

"Well, neither I or Evie can really be the distraction. You see I don't think we're her type." Izzy took the words right out of Evie's mouth with her explanation. 

"Think as this as practice anyway Xander. You can try to see what you need to improve on before you ask Magnus out." Coming up with her own response Evie pushed him towards the lady behind the desk not bothering to wish him luck beforehand. She watched on as he continued to royally fluff up the entire situation only making a fool out of himself. It was obvious he had no skills with flirting with girls yet alone his own gender. However, it was not at a loss as they were able to acquire the mortal cup. Evie felt bad at first thinking that they had stolen from the police, but when assuming that this was something that had been taken from her own home they had just taken it back but without permission. 

Original word count: 1270

2nd Edit June 2020 word count: 1270