chapter 26

He opened her hospital room slowly not wanting to wake her up if she was sleeping.

What the doctor told him, consoling or not. It all still points to the fact that George was the cause.

He walked into her room taking the image of her bruised cheek and lip with the white collar around her neck all in.

She looked fragile and tired even though her green eyes were opened watching him as he walked to her.

"Hey" his voice sounded hoarse and sad

"I'm sorry" he sounded like he'd been crying the whole day.

He was a mess. His hair was rough from the continuous raking of his fingers through it. and his shirt, well it was no more nicely tucked into his pants anymore.

"I really am sorry. I don't know what I'll do if I loose both of you"

"It's not your fault Dylan" she said stretching out her hand for him to hold.

He sat down next to her on the bed and held her hand "I don't know how you can still say that. I put you in this situation". he said looking for contradiction in her eyes but found non "Thank God Xander had a key to the house" he muttered

"Yeah. And no you didn't put me in this situation, I'm glad you're here with both of us. Yes I was scared" she nodded "but the doctor told me the baby is okay and that's all that matters right now" she said in a voice lower than a whisper

He nodded briefly "Yeah, he's okay" he put his hand on her belly

He had never talked about the sex of the baby before and now that he did, it intrigued her and she wanted to know about his actions.

"He?. What do you mean 'he'? We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet"

He shook his head "We're having a boy Raine"

Her gasp motivated him to smile, a little weary smile

"Are you serious?" she asked, surprise still evident in her head voice.

"Ues Raine we're having a baby boy," he said rubbing her right arm soothing her "but you need to be calm now" he said getting her attention

"The doctor said there was a little complication with the baby"

"What?" she tried sitting up but he prevented her

"There's nothing wrong with the baby, it's just that in order not to loose him you have to be calm because... Because it's an high risk pregnancy now and any rise in your blood pressure can-"

"Can make us loose him" she bit her lower lip fighting back tears from streaming down from her eyes to her face

"It's going to be alright. We'll do this together"
He said before the door was sent open.

"Lorraine. My darling" Lorraine's mom, Beatrice came inside with Kyle who had been in the hospital since afternoon. On cue Dylan stood up giving both of them the opportunity to see her.

It was 7:50pm already and visiting hours ends by 8:00pm. Dylan decided to go get some coffee before he returned to stay with his wife.

"Why didn't you call me uh?..." Beatrice's voice trailed off as Dylan excused himself quietly from the comfort of the room

A cup of coffee in hand, he sat beside Xander "Thank you for being there," he said

"It's okay man, I didn't do anything. I mean it's not everyday you go to your friends house to visit his pregnant wife and find her rolling down the stairs," he smiled, a tired smile. "How is she?"