chapter 17

"So, How was your trip, Raine" her Mom asked.

Only Dylan and her mom ever called her that, but it sounded better from Dylan's lips especially when they were being intimate.

Images of their time together in the cabin rolled in her head so many times she forgot her Mom asked her a question.

"I guess it was pretty fun" Mrs Hurst took a bite from her mashed potatoes and gravy

"Did you love my Dad?" Lorraine asked abruptly making her mother almost choke on her food.

"And where is this coming from? I mean, you've never talked or asked about him... Not even when you were little" she said with a disturbed face. She sure has some pretty bad memories from him.

"It's nothing, Mom. Don't mind my question" She said, before racking her fingers through her hair.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" her mom caressed her face

She nodded briefly. . .

***

Two Weeks later.

"I need to fly to Los Angeles" Dylan told Lorraine.

"I was wondering when you'll start going on your trips again" Lorraine sighed.

She knew he spent most of his time in his private jets than any of the his houses.

And to have had him in her bed every night for nearly a month was a luxury she didn't think would continue for long.

"You can come with me, you know?" he said

They were drinking coffee on the veranda staring at the Ocean. A routine they'd both enjoyed since they returned from Europe.

A part of her wanted to jump at the invitation. But the practical part of her kept her from saying 'yes'.

The giant clock in her head, counting backwards with the time she had remaining has Dylan's wife, was getting louder each day. The harder she tried to ignore the click, the worse it dug into her soul.

There were times, like now when he was smiling at her and encouraging her to travel with him, that Lorraine felt like their marriage was more than a piece of paper.

More than a mere act they both wanted.

The way Dylan held her when they made love.

Even when they were too tired to do anything else, dipped into her heart everyday.

"I shouldn't" she heaved a sigh

"And why not?" he asked

"I really miss my mom you see" she lied through her teeth

Dylan reached for her hand "You don't have to burden yourself all the time"  he said softly, more like in his bedroom voice. The problem was that they weren't in the bedroom.

"I know" she admitted

"I'm only going to be in Los Angeles for the weekend, Senator Lambert is having a campaign dinner and I should attend it" Dylan said after drinking his coffee

"He's the one who wants to give tax cuts to exporting companies, right?"

"I see you've been listening" Dylan nodded his head at her

Lorraine tossed her hair back and raised a brow "All this beauty and a brain. Shocking isn't it" she smirked.

"It's nice to have a conversation with a woman outside of the bedroom" Dylan smiled, impressed "I suppose that isn't fair"