Chapter 12 : The Southern Zone

Note : Statements enclosed within '#' like '# statement #' are system messages or similar type of messages 

Proodread by Compass96
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dishita checked her cell phone and wondered whether she should or not do it.

’I shouldn’t think this much. He still thinks of me as a friend.’

She tapped on the ‘send’ button and the text was sent. She was in college but she was hardly paying any attention to the lecturer. Anxiously, she waited for the reply she was sure she would get. 10 minutes passed, nothing. Another 10 minutes passed, still nothing.

*Trrrrrrrrr*

It wasn’t the sound of a text message being received, but the sound of the bell that told everyone the lecture was over. Yet, no reply.

Sure, they hadn’t been in contact in the recent months but she made an effort to reconnect. She had hoped that he would want to reconnect too but now she was afraid that that wasn’t the case.

’Did I mess it up?’

After another 5 minutes, she got the reply she was waiting for.

#
I will meet you outside the classroom in break.
#

’Thank God! Our friendship is not over yet.’

She looked at the watch. Only 55 minutes were remaining until break.

*

When there were only 5 minutes remaining, Sneha’s eraser fell down from her desk. While she was picking it up, she saw the shadow of someone standing outside the door. She wanted the shadow to be Rohit’s, but when are such simple desires fulfilled? As she shifted in her chair, trying to look at the face of the person whose shadow she just saw, the person moved a little to the front. The little step was enough for Sneha to see his face.

’Rohit? Really?’

She wanted to talk to him too. Totally forgetting that the lecture was going on, she just kept looking at him, waiting for a chance to wave hello when he looks in her direction but then she noticed that he was trying to communicate to someone in the class through actions.

’Just who?’

She looked in the direction that Rohit was looking at. She knew there was only one person who sat there and was close enough to know Rohit. However, she didn’t want to acknowledge that fact. As she suspected, it was Dishita.

’How? Weren’t they having a fight just a few days ago? Shit! Does that mean they were having a couple fight? Are they together?’

*Trrrrrrrrrrrrr*

The bell told them that the class was over and it was lunch break. Before Sneha could get up, she saw Dishita running out of the class to meet Rohit. Sneha hurriedly put all books in her bag and rushed out. By the time she got there, Rohit and Dishita were already gone. She saw them at the end of the corridor and ran towards them but she didn’t stop them. The reason was simple. Who was she to stop them?

As she was unable to find the answer to that simple question, she could not stop them.

Dishita took Rohit to the Subway, which wasn’t far from their college. They ordered their subs and sat down in silence. Rohit didn’t initiate the talking. Even on the way there, he was quiet.

Dishita realized that the situation was becoming awkward.

“So, how have you been? You don’t talk and you don’t even text these days.”