DIE ANOTHER DEATH:- THE UNDERWORLD RELOCATED [7]

THE ACTION CONTINUES !!! KEEP READING ON !!! ;-))

                                 CHAPTER 7:- 

                               ============

           Vanessa adjusted the earpiece of the wireless micro ear phone system in her external auditory canal and pulled the flexible mouthpiece to the left angle of her mouth.

          "Drake, can you hear me?" she asked, speaking into the mouthpiece.

          "Loud and clear, Vanessa," came the reply.

          "Good. Now let's find those intruders and make them sorry for themselves."

          "Sure. Continue on as you are. When you reach there, tell Sean to make a right and you all get down when you reach a huge rock lying by the road. You can't miss it. It's been marked."

          "Got it!"

          Vanessa turned to Sean. She was riding shotgun while he drove the hulking grey Land Rover Freelander 2. The other vampires and werewolves occupied the rest of the seats. He had insisted on driving and the others, who had been not too keen on handling the wheel themselves, had gladly acquiesced.

         "Sean, when you reach Mosaic Point, you turn right. Stop when you see a large boulder that bears the Mark. We will leg it from there on."

         "Okay."

         Mosaic Point was an entry point into the Craggen Forest, a wild offshoot of the Point Mugu State Park. The placed was named so as from the point, six forest trails originated, criss-crossing through the wilderness into the deeper reaches of the forest, like a mosaic. People often lost their way while venturing only a few hundred yards from the point, the heavily forested area and the similar appearance of the trees befuddling them. Locals joked that the trees shifted their positions purposefully to confuse folks entering the forested domain. Even expert trekkers and forest rangers proceeded with caution when in that area. As a rule, it was forbidden to enter the forest through that point after sunset. There were several notorious instances of people disappearing.......without any physical trace.

           Needless to say, it was a haven for dark creatures of the night. Vampires often brought their beguiled victims there to feed on them in leisure, without the interference of concerned humans or other hungry vampires.

           But far dangerous creatures than vampires also resided in the deeper parts. The terror was such that even animals like deer, boars, wild dogs and wolves stayed away from the denser parts. Werewolves did not mind the volatile atmosphere so long they were in packs.

           Hence, it was a matter of surprise for Drake and his surveillance team when the infrared scanners on two of their surveillance cameras began transmitting images of unknown entities from the north-eastern part of the jungle. They could not make out who these people were on account of the digital parts of these cameras malfunctioning, something which they attributed to the cameras being of inferior quality, a thing not unsurprising considering the carelessness often exhibited by the new recruits who had only blood and feeding on their minds, neglecting to inspect the equipment they were asked to either set up, procure or transport.

           Initially they thought the intruders were State park rangers patrolling the area from the Danford side of the forest. But when a line of armed persons steadily trekked through the forest towards Jacksonville, their suspicions increased. As far as Drake and his team knew, the north-east part of the forest being the easiest and relatively safest part to journey through the forest, it was monitored by covertly placed surveillance CCTV video cameras and vampires and werewolves had been posted as sentries to prevent any trespassers from entering the forest. They had been given the go-ahead to kill or turn any such violators. So the lack of any response from their patrols was even more mystifying.