XXVI. Fools

The next scene was to start with a shot of Ana and Daniel's feet as they rushed into a hospital; Ana's brother had been shot in the woods.

Mads was wearing one of the best suits the character owned. It was a cozy look, perfect for autumn. Even though my dress was also flattering, the fact that I had to prepare myself in a great rush had me sweating and wishing for my bed.

"So you went swimming," Mads said while lighting a cigarette.

Mads and I were waiting outside for the crew to finish preparing Josh on the hospital bed and also setting the extras in place.

I give him a little smile. "Yes, I did."

"You were alone?"

For some reason, my extinct was to lie and say yes, but I nodded and stared at the ground.

"Ryan accompanied you?" I didn't reply to his question because I was sure it was rhetorical. "Did you ask him to?"

"No, I thought he was working. I'm glad he was there, even if was only an hour."

"No, it was like two hours. What were you doing? Did he swim too?"

"Yeah, he swam in his underwear though," I said giggling. "and he taught me how to swim."

"You didn't know how to swim? Wow."

"I know. I'm learning quite a lot of things this year. How did your phone call go?"

"Video call. It went Ok. The kids are fine; she's fine, everything's fine."

"Good to know." I watched him take a drag of his cigarette then took it from his hand.

"Are you jealous?"

He looked at me and smiled. 

"Of course not. Why would I be jealous? We don't... I have no ownership over you."

"It's not about ownership. It's something else, something bigger than us. Would you be mad if I got jealous?"

"No. If you did, I would assure you that my eyes could not follow any other direction but your eyes."

His words made my heart flutter. "How poetic. Do those words belong to you?" I joked with him.

He took the cigarette from me and took the last drag before placing it away. "I'm not a moron, Reed. I'm able to form my own phrases."

"I know your not a moron. I just say a lot of stupid shit, sometimes. But I know there's more up there" I say touching his temple, "more than you show me."

He takes the hand with which I touched him and held it close to him. "There are some things better kept hidden. If I pretend I'm at least a bit less intelligent than I am, my enemies will never level up their game against me. You get it?"

"Yes, makes easier to navigate through life. But why hide it from me?"

"When we're together I don't just hide it from you; I hide it from myself. Makes me feel a little more innocent."

"But what for?"

"Two minutes, guys." One of the assistants announced in a rush, disappearing quickly.

"We're coming," Mads yelled back. We stared at each other for a couple of seconds before Mads, with a hand on my lower back, guided me onto the set.

"The innocent have always loved better, Reed. That's why you're able to love me so much."

---

ANNA'S BROTHER, DAVID, LAYS UNCONSCIOUS ON THE HOSPITAL BED. ANNA WATCHES HIM FROM THE FOOT OF HIS BED. DANIEL HAS A HAND OVER HER SHOULDER.