eighteen

"Get up, you lazy ass," is how Calum greets Michael on this bright, Sunday morning.

Michael groans loudly and rolls over in order to bury his face in his pillow. It's far too early for this foolishness in his mind.

"Today's a big day!" Calum exclaims. He hops on top of Michael and despite his constant death threats, begins to shake him into awareness.

"Calum I swear I'm going to tear your hair out one strand at a time if you don't-" Michael is grumbling when he's interrupted.

"You're going to thank me soon. Just get up!"

With no shortage of glares, Michael shoves Calum off him and sits up in his bed. "Remind me again why today's important."

"We have a surprise," Calum says with a far too excited grin. "Get dressed- and look nice!"

That's all Michael is given before he's alone in his room. Birds are chirping gleefully outside and the sun is spilling in pools through his window. Michael soaks it in while determining whether to do as Calum ordered or go back to sleep. Something tells him he should listen to his friend, though.

A tan sweater is thrown on- instead of his usual band tee- paired with a simple pair of skinny jeans. He styles his hair quickly in his bedroom mirror before half-stumbling down the steps.

In the living room, a giddy Calum and Ashton are talking in hushed tones. The grins that they send him the second he appears makes Michael wish he would have stayed in bed.

"Okay let's go!" Calum yells.

Michael is sputtering questions as they drag him out to Calum's car. They answer him with sly smiles and conspicuous "you'll see"'s.

The car ride is short and quiet, although the air is filled with energy. Michael interrupts that a few times to whine.

They pull up to an old-style diner with tacky teal paint and an obnoxious sign.

"What are we doing here?" Michael asks.

The two in the front seats have a silent conversation with their eyes. Then Calum nods, giving Ashton the go-ahead to tell him.

"You're about to go on a double date."

Michael's still slow at processing due to the early hour. "With who?" The two smile shyly at him and the realization slams into him. "Oh!"

"Is that.. Is this okay?" Ashton asks slowly.

"The date or..?"

"Us." Calum finishes.

Michael takes in their hopeful expressions. They want nothing more than his approval right now. And this isn't exactly news to him, so in the most sincerest way possible, he responds with a yes.

"Thanks, mate," Calum beams at him.

"So are you two a thing now?" Michael asks.

"Basically. Nothing's official yet, though," Ashton shrugs.

"Yet," Calum smirks.

For a moment, Michael simply watches their interaction with awe. This is a pairing he never would have dreamed would occur. After all, up until the other day, Calum was still into girls for all he knew. Things change quickly in this strange world, he reasons. Brief glances and stolen touches between them punctuate that thought of his.

"Wait when did this happen?"

Calum looks sheepish and nudges Ashton to speak. Ashton sends him a feigned glare that is secretly full of adoration.