eight

"I need a poem," Ashton says before he's even finished pushing open the door.

Michael slowly shifts his gaze up from his notebook to his frantic stepbrother. A pen is held ready in his hand, but the page beneath it is as blank as it was a day ago. "So do I," he mumbles sadly.

"This isn't funny, Michael. I really need one."

"I wasn't trying to be funny. I've been trying to write this poem for the past 24 hours but nothing's coming," Michael explains with a sigh.

Ashton's expression becomes somewhat sympathetic. He comes to sit beside him on Michael's bed. Michael fixes his stare on his ink-less paper.

"Um.. is something going on?" Ashton asks awkwardly.

"No." Michael's lie is a weak one that comes through gritted teeth.

"Oh uh okay."

And just like that, their somewhat nice moment passes. These times when Ashton seems to actually care about him have been becoming more and more common, and Michael isn't sure at all what to make of them.

"What do you need a poem for anyways?" Michael asks.

A small smile forms on Ashton's lips. Michael's heart falls. "Luke is coming over today."

It takes Michael a while to recover from that blow. His heart is in his throat, throbbing painfully, when he speaks again. "Wh-why?"

"I messaged him and asked him to come over. I told him I had something he might be interested in.. referring to the poem you're about to write for me," Ashton responds smugly.

His stepmother's words are echoing through his head. For a second, he imagines denying Ashton, but then he feels her slap across his face over again and thinks better of it. He has no choice in this matter; Michael hangs his head in defeat.

"What do you want it to be about?" Michael whispers.

"Make one about a.. a crush or something cute."

Michael flinches. "Okay.."

His hand shakes as he brings the pen down to the paper. He takes a deep breath and dives in.

He can feel Ashton's eyes on him as he writes the first line. "Oh wow yeah that was a good one," Ashton comments. Michael tries his best to ignore him.

Ashton continues to throw in his opinions and ideas throughout the next few minutes, but Michael pays him no mind. He's in an entirely different place now, a world lost in phrases and pen marks. The words that wouldn't come are now flowing freely again. He hates that this poem isn't for him, that it's going to be used to take Luke from him, but he imagines that none of that exists. While he's writing it, he pretends that it will stay safely hidden away in his notebook for only his eyes to see.

"Done," Michael breathes after what seems like forever.

The two stare in wonder at what was just created. Michael hates to admit it, but he's created a masterpiece for Ashton.

"Wow.. I knew you were good but I didn't know you were that good," Ashton says softly.

"Yeah uh I don't exactly let anyone see my writing," Michael mumbles. As if to prove what he just said, he pulls the notebook slightly towards his chest. Right now he wants nothing more than to shield it away from view.

"Should I type this up?" Ashton asks.

Michael throws him a confused glance. "Why?"

"Well the handwriting is obviously different than his poem he got before," Ashton states matter-of-factly.

There's a very uncomfortable feeling rising in Michael's chest. "No uh you'll be fine. Trust me." As soon as the words leave his mouth, he wants to slap himself for his stupidity. Does he really want Ashton to know it was him?

Ashton doesn't seem to understand what he means. He stares at him curiously. "Okay..?"

Then Ashton reaches for the poem and Michael hands it over with a heavy heart. He then gets up and goes to leave Michael's room with the paper clutched tightly in his hand. As if it's an afterthought, he turns back at the last second and thanks Michael.

Michael can only nod in response.

Then he's alone in his room again, hopelessness spreading through all his cells.

It's barely an hour later when he hears the front door open downstairs. He knows who's here before Ashton yells the announcement.

At first, he can't move or think. Luke's in his own home and he doubts he'd even be allowed to speak to him. This is a situation he never imagined himself to be stuck in.

Then he hears it- the light, gorgeous laugh that sends his heart fluttering. It's one of the most painful things he's ever heard.

Michael knows now that he won't be able to bear being in this house while Ashton takes everything he's wanted. He sends a quick plea to Calum and then gets up to go watch for him.

As he makes his way downstairs to the front window, Luke's voice claws at Michael's throat, choking him.

He's not sure where his stepmother is, but he knows that she's probably watching his pain with a satisfied smirk.

He stares out the window and begs for Calum to hurry. He can hear the two boys in the next room over, laughing and joking around. Then he hears the shifting of paper and he knows exactly what's happening. He can picture the scene perfectly. Luke's probably holding the poem gently, eyes scanning across his own words and feelings. He can practically see the toothed smile forming, and it hurts- it hurts so fucking bad. Ashton's probably sitting beside him with hopeful, worried eyes, praying that he buys it.

Then he hears Ashton cough. "I uh, sorry my handwriting was really weird last time from the-"

"No your handwriting was exactly the same as this, no need to apologize. And this is.. this is beautiful. I finally found you," Luke cuts him off. By the sound of his voice, he's most likely beaming at Ashton.

Michael thinks he's about to throw up.

"Ha yeah.." Ashton chuckles.

"Well then I guess I owe you a thank you for the night of the party," Luke says.

"It's was no problem really. But stay here I'll be right back," Ashton replies quickly.

Michael turns in time to see Ashton emerging into the room. Ashton's eyes are wide and his mouth is hanging open. "It was you," he whispers.

With perfect timing, Calum pulls up the driveway. Michael ducks out the front door before Ashton has a chance to portray anything besides shock.

And now his secret is out.

A/N: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT HATE ME FOR TAKING SO LONG TO UPDATE I CANT EVEN TELL YOU HOW SORRY I AM. And if you're not to mad at me, I would appreciate if you'd check out the Lashton story I'm starting called Close. It'd mean a lot to me. Okay I love you a lot bye