twenty three

*LISTEN TO NEVER BE FOR THIS CHAPTER JUST TRUST ME OKAY*

Michael's with Luke yet again, as he has been every available moment for the last three months. They've been inseparable ever since that perfect day at the park. Of course, they've hit their rough patches, like any couple, but they've always been quick to mend things with sweet words and occasional flowers.

Their fights that they've encountered have been something just short of humorous. They tend to turn to the silent treatment during them, ranging anywhere from an hour to a day without speaking. Never more than 24 hours. The two are such complete suckers for each other that any fight lasting longer than that would drive them to insanity. And so, they always show up at each other's houses with apologies falling from their lips and eyes screaming for forgiveness. A few kisses normally follow.

Those arguments are quite rare, though. The boys are entirely lost in the honeymoon state of love that it's a miracle they can even see straight. Calum sometimes makes jokes about them seeing only in pink filters with heart frames.

Things have been going far better than either of them ever imagined they would. Even Michael's introduction to Luke's father went smoothly. The mayor seemed skeptical at first, but by the end of the night, he simply adored Michael, telling him he was glad his son found him. It was such a relief to Michael to have that acceptance.

What was the most surreal to him, was about a month into their relationship, Luke had casually suggested they go to a party. Michael was hesitant to say yes, but did so anyways. Upon entering the party, Michael had wanted nothing more than to melt into the floorboards. Luke kept him steady, though, showing him off proudly to the crowd full of teenagers. Never once did Luke look ashamed or try to hide him. On the contrary, when a considerable number of shots had been taken, Luke got quite handsy and put on a show of PDA. Their alcohol flavored kisses were the talk of the town for a while after. Neither of them could find it in them to care.

Now, as Michael's head is resting against Luke's chest, he can't help but smile fondly at the memory. Luke's heartbeat surrounds him and for a second, he swears he can hear the pounding bass again.

That night remains significant to him for a far greater reason, though.

Whether it be the liquor consumed or their heated touches that continued all night or even the way Luke's eyes seemed to be shining, Michael didn't want it to end when they left the party. So they had stumbled into Luke's room, dizzy with lust. It was the first time for both of them, and there was no shortage of giggling. Overall, it had been gentle yet clumsy, and neither of them would change a second of that.

It was all perfect. Luke was perfect.

Michael sighs into Luke's shirt, inhaling the scent that he had become so familiar with.

"You okay?" Luke asks.

"I'm more than okay," Michael replies honestly.

Without even having to look up, Michael knows the exact grin that's graced Luke's lips. It's a smile that he sees in his sleep.

After a few more heartbeats, Luke asks, "have you written anything recently?"

"No, I haven't needed to. I mean, I used to write when I had no other way of expressing my feelings.. But now I have you." Michael glances over at the notebook that has sat by his bed untouched for the last few months. Inside are his deepest secrets and some of his darkest moments. There are a few happy poems scattered throughout, but nowadays Michael expresses his happiness in "I love you"s.

"Oh," is all Luke can think to say.

"What made you think of that?" Michael asks in return.

"Well I was just thinking about how we met and I realized I hadn't seen any new poems for a while," Luke explains.