two

All Michael can do is helplessly watch the small, red car disappear down the street. His stepmother is gone.

You'd think that in having one problem out of mind for awhile, life would be easier for him, but that's sadly not the case. This puts him directly in the other problem's control with no telling how it will end up.

Speaking of the devil, Ashton comes to stand beside Michael. The two stare out the window for a brief moment, watching the now empty road. "You should probably get a head start on that chores list," Ashton says with a voice as smug as his grin.

Michael sighs and turns away from the glass plane.

Only four days of this. He can do it.

The list that he finds waiting for him on the counter literally drains him of all previous hope. His stepmother's handwriting covers it completely with stupid and difficult tasks alike. His duties range from cleaning toilets to weeding the sidewalk to fixing a shelf. It goes on and on and Michael's resolve is completely crumbling. And to top it all off, he has four days.

"How the hell am I supposed to do all this?" He yells, shoving the paper towards Ashton.

Ashton merely shrugs. "That's your problem, not mine. Now hop on it."

Michael stares in disbelief for a few more moments at all that's expected of him. It's insane; she's insane. There's no way.

Before he can move from his position, he feels his phone vibrating in his pocket. A quick glance at it tells him it's Calum. He waits to answer it until he's safely up in his room.

"Is the witch gone yet?" Is the first thing Calum asks, making Michael chuckle.

"Yeah."

"Then I'm on my way!" Calum says and hangs up immediately. Michael has a protest hanging halfway off his lips, but he's sure his friend is already halfway to his car.

While he waits, Michael can't be bothered to move from his bed. The list of chores is screaming at him and yet he focuses on a small bird outside.

There it goes again, flying away, with nothing holding it back. And there's that familiar jealousy again.

He gets so caught up in his thoughts and this stupid emotion that he losses track of time. He's still picturing the wings when his door creaks open, and before he's even sure what's happening, Calum's on top of him, tackling him roughly into the bed. Calum's jabbering nonstop about all their plans for the weekend, and Michael experiences a sinking feeling.

"But, Cal, look at this.." He says as soon as he can get a word in. Michael slowly hands the list over.

Calum scans the list, his face dropping with every line he reads. "Well that puts a damper on things." He sneaks a peek down at Michael's solemn expression before adding, "but it's nothing we can't handle!"

Calum climbs off his friend before rereading what all needs to be done.

"And Ashton's already on my ass. This is going to be terrible," Michael groans, burying his face yet again into his pillow. His friend, as always, is slightly more optimistic than him.

"Hey no, stay positive. We'll work hard and finish everything, then still have time to go to that party at the end of the weekend."

Michael's head snaps up. "Party?"

Calum freezes. "Oh shit I forgot to tell you. Luke is throwing this party Sunday night and everyone's going."

Michael's blood goes cold at the mention of Luke. His thoughts are racing and he feels like he's going to puke just at the thought of being in his house.

"Luke.. As in the mayor's son?" Is all he can choke out.

Calum catches on and a mischievous glint appears in his eyes. "Yeah, Luke Hemmings. As in the one you have that silly crush on."

Michael's eyes nearly pop out of his head. He panics slightly before remembering a certain late-night conversation.. "I forgot I told you about that.." He mumbles after recovering.

"Mate, even if you didn't tell me, I would have known. You're not that subtle," Calum says with a wink.

Michaels head is a mess of cuss words and yes, that is definitely nausea he's feeling.

He's going to be in the house of Luke Hemmings. He's going to be in the presence of the boy he's only ever watched from afar. His heart is beating out of control because finally his chance is a real, tangible thing.

He pictures meeting those blue eyes from across the room full of people. He thinks about pushing his way passed everyone, cup in hand, and then Luke suddenly just being there in front of him. The scene unfolds further in Michael's head and it's too perfect. He's only been dreaming of this chance for two years.

Calum smirks knowingly at him, as if he can see the wheels turning in his best friend's head. "We have to go and you have to talk to him."

"Oh god."