fifteen

Michael has no clue what he's doing. His blood is pumping with adrenaline, exhilarating and terrifying adrenaline. Every nerve is buzzing and he's never felt more alive.

He holds the carton of eggs close to his chest. The two climb out of Luke's car suppressing sly smiles.

They stealthily cross the street, just to keep up the aura of mischief. Stopping a few yards away from it, they simply observe Ashton's old black Ford.

"You ready?" Michael asks.

"Absolutely."

Michael inches open the carton and slides his thumb over the eggs. He carefully picks up one of them and rolls it gently between his fingers. All of Ashton's wrongdoings pile up and his infuriation builds and builds until he snaps. He whips the egg forward and it shatters against the back window. A whoop of joy escapes his lips as the yolk begins to drip downwards.

Luke follows his lead, chucking his own egg.

Smiles break across both their faces. They cheer as egg upon egg splatters across Ashton's car, covering it in a sheen layer of yolk and shell.

Despite it being broad daylight- not to mention they're in total view of the neighbors- the boys release all of their pent up anger. Every egg Luke throws represents his feelings towards being lied to, played. Michael's are in turn, for him being used, taken advantage of, and all the years of cruelty. They laugh harder than either of them have laughed in a long long time.

"Last one- would you like to do the honors?" Michael asks, holding it out the almost empty carton to Luke.

Luke shakes his head. "Naw, you deserve it more than me."

Michael nods his thanks and hurls the last one at the windshield.

Then, caught up in the energy of the moment, Michael turns towards Luke. He's breathless as his eyes lock with Luke's. He dares to let his eyes wander down to Luke's smiling, pink lips. And fuck, he's never wanted to kiss someone so badly.

He hesitates for a second, a second filled with longing, before thinking better of it. Finally Michael throws himself into Luke's chest and hugs him tight. It's a quick hug, which he pulls away from with a blush spreading onto his cheeks.

"Sorry," Michael mumbles.

Luke chuckles, "don't apologize."

The way he says it makes Michael rethink connecting their lips. He only allows himself to imagine it for a moment, though, before he pushes it far away. After all, he's still not sure what kind of terms he's on with Luke, and he'd hate to ruin everything they've worked towards today.

Michael exhales loudly and they both turn to examine their handiwork.

"We did quite a bit of damage," Luke comments.

It's true, there're scratches and dents from the shells littering his paint job. The disgusting, liquid-like substance will no doubt take some scrubbing to get off too.

"Eh it's nothing my step mother can't pay for," Michael replies bitterly. He knows that if it were the other way around, she would never help him out with money, even though she could afford just about anything.

Then he feels a slight twinge of guilt. It's deep set, no matter how small. After all, Ashton has been considerably better to him lately, and have made huge efforts to help him with all this. But then Michael remembers that it's his fault they're even in this mess and suddenly he doesn't feel so bad.

"So I'm going to assume you don't want to be here when Ashton gets home?" Luke asks.

Michael smirks at him. "As much as I'd love to see his reaction, I don't think that'd be the best idea."

"Would you like to um.. come back to my place?"

The grin on Michael's face grows impossibly wider. "I'd love to."

They take one last glance at Ashton's car and climb back into Luke's, chuckling to themselves all the while.

Now Luke and Michael are chatting away as if nothing ever happened, as if Michael didn't aid in the lying and as if Luke didn't kiss his brother. It's just.. normal. They're laughing and joking and god Michael can feel his heart swelling with happiness.

He's finally caused Luke's smile.

Upon returning to his house, Luke invites him down to watch a movie. Michael accepts.

This time, when they both take their seats on the couch, they're not so far apart. They lean up against each other, much to Michael's disbelief.

Nothing further happens between the two, but that's okay Michael decides. The warmth of Luke next to him is enough.

He still has no clue what he's doing. He hasn't had one all day. All he's done is gone with everyone's crazy, spontaneous ideas. And look where that's miraculously gotten him: cuddled into Luke's side.

"So.. do you forgive me?" Michael asks after a long while.

Luke looks over at him. He studies Michael's semi-nervous expression. "Yeah," he breathes with a smile.

And now the happiness is overflowing. It's in Michael's toes, his fingers, his heart. It's spilling into his entire being and he can't help but beam up at Luke.

He knows that returning home to his family's rage will be tough, but he's able to push that aside for now. All he can think about right now is Luke.

He is forgiven. This might somehow end up okay.