Chapter 17- My Happy Ending

• Dedicated to All my fans

                                               Chapter 17- My Happy Ending

The next day was a blur of activity. I had a big interview with Caesar Flickerman about my Games, and I somehow managed to not cry. There were other smaller interviews with some reporters, too. 

By the time the day was over, I was ready to drop. I was sent off to bed and was soon asleep. Tomorrow, I would be going home. 

 *-----------------------------*

I stared out the window of the train, watching the land go by in a blur. I was laying on my bed, stroking my necklace habitually, anxiety and nervousness building up inside of me. Around noon, we would reach District 10. 

Even though I was happy to be going home and seeing my family again, I was even more terrified to confront Cody. I was scared of what he might do and say, unable to bare the thought of losing him forever. 

For the remainder of the trip, I stayed in my room, thinking over what I would do and say when I got home. I knew that this was a waste of time; whenever I rehearsed something, it always left my brain at the last second, so I end up winging it instead. 

About an hour and a half before we arrived, there was a knock at my door. "Julia, come to the sitting room please!" It was Vibia. I sighed and rolled out of bed to go get dressed. 

When I walked into the room, Vibia and Katie were sitting on the couch. I went and sat down across from them, suddenly aware of how quiet and empty it felt without James here. Sadness rushed through me again when I remembered his death, and I almost started to cry again. 

Katie cleared her throat. "We'll be arriving shortly, as you know. The moment you step off this train, your life will change. You'll no longer be the quiet farm girl; you'll be a celebrity. For at least a month, there will be cameras and reporters everywhere; in your personal life, following you down the street, taking care of the farm, all over the place. And like every celebrity, you will have enemies.  

"Numerous people from all over Panem will hate you for what you've done. Some will hate you for killing their kids, inadvertently getting other kids killed, for just surviving when their child could not." 

Great, I thought wryly. More enemies! Just what I need!  

"You will also have a lot of fans," Katie continued. "People will think of you differently now back home. You'll be a hero, a legend. Most District 10 Tributes don't make it out alive. You beat the odds and survived. So I'm just preparing you for the chaos that'll happen once this train stops. And trust me; I know what I'm talking about. I've been through this before."  

This was a lot to take in right now, and I just sat there quietly, trying to process it. After a few moments, Katie got up and walked out, leaving me and Vibia alone. 

Eventually, Vibia spoke up. "Dear, I'm so proud of you. All throughout the Games, you've done phenomenal. You're a very strong girl." I smiled at the comment. This might actually be the first heartfelt thing I've ever heard her say. 

"I'm truly going to miss you when you leave, dear. No other Tribute has been quite like you before." I heard her sniff, and looked up to see her suppressing tears. I didn't know she cared for me that much.  

The train started slowing down, and I got up to leave. Vibia joined me at the doorway, a tear running down her face. She took me into a long embrace and whispered, "See you in six months at the Victory Tour." She stepped back and gently patted my cheek, then turned and walked out of the room.