Chapter 8- Interviews

"Julia, wake up," a voice spoke, intruding into my dreams. "Julia, come on. Wake up." It kept getting louder and louder, until I couldn't stand it. 

"What?" I complained, opening my eyes sleepily.  

I jumped in surprise. All I saw was Septimus' face hovering over mine. 

"It's time for lunch. You've been sleeping all morning, and the interviews are coming up pretty fast," he told me. 

I slowly got up, stretching and looking around. I was still in the sitting room; I must've fallen asleep on the couch.  

"Just give me a minute," I mumbled to him, getting up and wandering to my room to take a shower.  

When I stepped out of the steamy shower, I slumped against the counter, staring at myself in the mirror. One more day, I thought miserably. No matter what I tell myself, I know that I will most likely die over the next few days. Last night's video just made me realize it sooner. 

Lunch went by fast, and soon my prep team is bursting into my room, getting right to work on me. The interviews were only in a few hours, and there was no time to lose. 

They sat me down and Katri and Saffra got to work on my body, quickly stripping it of any hair that grew back since the Opening Ceremonies. While they did that, Alto painted my nails a golden color that shimmered in the light. 

While Alto worked on my hair, the girls advanced on me with makeup. They didn't use nearly as much as they did for the Opening Ceremonies, only enough to bring out my eyes and enhance my facial features.  

Around two hours later, they finished and led me to a mirror to examine their work. I was pleasantly surprised; even without the dress, I still looked gorgeous. My skin shimmered and glowed healthily and my hair was done in loose ringlets, flowing over my shoulders. Some of the hair from the sides of my head was pulled back with a glittery clip so only the shorter strands that couldn't reach curled down the sides of my face. 

I turned to them, smiling in gratitude. "Thank you so much. I look beautiful!" 

They all agreed with me, complimenting their work. "Wait 'til you see the dress!" Katri piped up. 

We couldn't say anything else because Septimus appeared in the doorway, an opaque plastic bag in his hands that must contain my dress.  

"Are you ready?" he asked me. I nodded, excited to see the masterpiece he held in his hands. 

"Close your eyes, then," he whispered. 

I did as he instructed and felt him help me into the dress and fasten all the ties in the back. He turned me to face the mirror, probably, and then whispered, "Open." 

The dress that I was in was nothing less than perfect. It was a floor-length halter dress that flowed around my body, showing off my curves, but not in a sexy way. The mottled forest green and gold patterns on the dress really brought out my eyes, making them bigger and brighter than they've ever been.  

He brought out a pair of glittering black peep-toe platform heels, and I slipped them on, my golden toenails peeping out from underneath the hem of the dress.  

I spun around, enjoying the way the dress spun out around me. I turned to Septimus, who was smiling at me happily, and wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tight. "Thank you so much," I whispered.  

He returned the hug and stepped back. "Now for the finishing touch!" He pulled something out of his pocket, and I realized it was my locket.  

I stood still as he placed it over my head, the locket settling on my chest, right by my heart.