Chapter 15- Victor

Chapter 15- Victor

When I woke up, I laid there for a moment, savoring the warm drowsiness of sleep. Finally, I made myself get up. I should try to find some food. I grabbed my stuff and walked outside to fill up my water bottle and stopped, shocked into stillness. 

The little stream by the cave was dried out, so the thought of getting water was banished. But that wasn't what shocked me. The whole forest was bare, everything white. It looked like a forest fire swept through the area overnight, stripping the trees and bushes of their leaves and color. Now, I could see for miles in all directions without the cover of leaves. 

I'm an idiot, I thought. I don't know how I could've thought the Gamemakers would let me sit back while the others fought it out. They wouldn't make winning that easy. 

I knew where they wanted us all to go- the Cornucopia. They did this almost every year. If the remaining three or four Tributes were too far away from each other, then they would do something to flush them out of cover and to the Cornucopia to fight it out. 

I didn't see any point in waiting, so I started off on the long trek back through the ghost forest, as I'm going to call it now. I kept a sharp eye out for Ray or the other Tribute. I really didn't want to confront Ray, because I don't think I could kill him. 

It was getting dark out and I was getting close to where I thought the Cornucopia was located.  

I still couldn't see it through the trees, when I heard a rumbling. It was kind of like the sound of a huge door slowly opening somewhere in the distance. I shrugged it off and kept walking. 

Suddenly, a roar echoed out across the arena, scaring the crap out of me. I took a step back, emitting a small shriek, my heart pounding. I whipped my head back and forth, looking for the source of the noise. 

My eyes were instantly drawn to the huge mountain in the arena. I've tried to stay away from it, and I've been so successful, I almost forgot it was there.  

I could see the mountain clearly, now that there weren't really any trees blocking my view. On the side of the mountain, I saw a huge shape barreling down the side, kicking up huge clouds of snow. 

I gasped at the size of the monster. Even from a distance, I could tell it was huge. It was a mutt, no doubt about it. I wonder what animals the Capitol scientists used to make this abomination. 

I took off running, not wanting to stick around when it reached here. I knew confronting it would be inevitable, but I wanted to be out in the open, where I could have more space. 

The Cornucopia was in sight when a girl's terrified scream rang out from the direction of the mountain. Then I heard a cannon boom. The mutt got someone. Only me and Ray left. I really didn't want it to come to this. 

I burst out into the clearing where the Cornucopia was. I made a beeline towards it. If I could gain some height when the mutt came, it might provide an advantage. 

I was around halfway there when another figure crashed out of the forest. Ray.  

I stopped and watched as he ran towards me. He had no visible weapons out. He stopped next to me, breathing hard.  

He looked like he lost some weight and there was a long scratch running down his arm. 

"I don't want to kill you," I blurted out before I could stop myself. 

He gave me a sad smile. "I don't want to, either." 

I had conflicting emotions. One part of me knew I should kill him now and get it over with, the other part of me wanted to not kill him. The latter won.