Chapter 9- My Approaching Doom

I don't know how I managed to contain my tears until we reached our floor, but the second the elevator door opened, I stumbled out and collapsed on the floor, sobbing. Everything was over, now. I've just lost all possible sponsors and ruined my friendship with Cody if I got back home. 

Time started to blur together as I drowned myself in tears. I was vaguely aware of someone picking me up and carrying me to my bed, but I quickly passed out before I could decipher anything else. 

When I woke up, my room was dark. According to the clock, it was just over midnight.  

I sat up and noticed that I wasn't in my interview dress anymore; instead I was in a pair of pajamas. Someone must've undressed me while I was asleep. 

The interview! The embarrassment washed over me again, and I blushed even though there was nobody here.  

Wait... that means that the Games are in the morning. I was going to die.  

I was suddenly so scared, tears came to my eyes. I felt a pang of homesickness, and I wished my mom was here to comfort me like she did whenever I had a nightmare. But she isn't here, I thought, depressed. 

I took a few deep breaths, calming myself slightly, and then laid back down and tried to sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, though, terrible thoughts about what the arena would look like, all the torturous mutts they'd release on us, and all the painful ways I could die plagued my mind.  

I soon realized that sleep was hopeless, and got up to get something warm to drink. That sometimes helped me sleep. 

As I wandered into the dining room, I noticed a figure sitting on one of the couches by the glass wall that overlooked the Capitol. I walked towards the person slowly, but as I got closer, I noticed that it was Katie.  

I plopped down besides her with a sigh, watching the parties and festivities in the streets below us. 

"You're scared," she said turning to me. It wasn't a question, but I nodded anyways, still gazing out the window.  

"Good. It's ok to have a little bit of fear. But too much will just bring you harm. Remember that." 

I just nodded again. 

"There are a lot of sponsors for you too, you know," she suddenly added.  

This made me turn. "What? How? I was sure that I'd lost all chances of gaining sponsors with my outburst..." I trailed off and sighed. 

"No," Katie said. "It had the exact opposite effect, actually. You see, Capitol citizens love drama and stuff like that. I'd say you have a pretty good chance in the Games." 

This made me feel a lot better, but I still had no idea what to do once I'm in the Games. 

"Here's some tips," Katie began, answering my unasked question. "I told this to James already, but I think you'll benefit from them more." 

I knew what she was implying. I was the one more likely to survive out of the two of us. 

"When you enter the Games, don't step off your plate until the sixty seconds are up. I think you've seen what happens if you do." 

I nodded. A few years ago, I remembered watching a boy step off a few seconds early, and then BOOM! He was scattered around the field. I shuddered at the memory. 

"Next and most importantly," she said, emphasizing the words 'most importantly,' "Stay away from the Cornucopia. It's a giant bloodbath, and most likely than not, you will be killed. Run the opposite way and find water!" Water was vital to your survival in the Games.