03

Hey so sometimes I reread my chapters and hate my vocabulary. Like right now. I sort of substituted a lot of words for much simpler ones. I don't think my vocabulary development class did anything but make me think I was more intelligent, man.

x

Another womanly gasp sounded throughout the expanse of distance that was now revealed. Her gasp had echoed around the massive wide open room. They were what he assumed to be generators or something of the sort.

He quickly apologized as he inspected the woman up close.

She had fair skin, and deeply roseate lips that were free of the colored paste that was habitually applied among women.

"Are you supposed to be be here?" It seemed to be the only reasonable thing to stay as they stood in a certainly restricted area.

Her wide eyes wandered over him and assessed him.

"No. Are you?"

He was surprised by her straight forward reply, expecting her to conjure up an excuse and beg for him to not tattle on her like a child.

"I suppose not."

He stood silent, as did she. Each waiting for the other to say something.

"Well, I've got more sneaking around to do, if you'll excuse me."

Just as she turned to continue her mischief, he spoke.

"What's your name, may I ask?"

"You may not." He was surprised by her words, but was even more taken by her tone. It wasn't bitter with arrogance, but demure with suspicion.

"May I tell you mine?"

"You may."

"I'm Roman."

She appeared befuddled as her eyebrows furrowed and wide eyes enlarged further.

"But you're American?"

He laughed. This wasn't the normal course of his conversations with women.

"I'm actually Swedish."

"That's interesting...Roman from Sweden. My name is Rosalie."

"Does anyone call you Rose?"

Her face fell as she visibly lost all desire to participate in their conversation.

"How about Rosie?"

She didn't seem wholly pleased, but nodded anyway. Just not Rose, he reminded himself.

"What are you doing here?"

She frowned, "What are you doing here?"

"The act of responding to questions with questions is quite irritating, don't you agree?"

She smirked, "Do you agree?"

He felt his annoyance bubble within him, but couldn't help but find her amusing all the same.

Irritating, sarcastic, and beautiful. What a winning combination, he thought.

"I'm here because while I enjoy reading in privacy as often as possible, I also find joy in wandering about. It usually gets me into trouble."

He chuckled, "I agree."

She nodded, and turned to remove herself from the conversation and return to feed her curiosity with the oversized boat she would be on for the next little under a month.

He did the exact opposite of what she wished, he followed her.

"Is that how you got here? Did you follow me?"

He smirked just as she had.

"Yes, and that's what i'm doing now."

She sighed as if it were a major reconstruction of her agenda, although it wasn't. "Only on one condition."

She was setting rules if he were to accompany her, "If we get into trouble, it will be your fault."

He wasn't expecting such a thing, such a conniving statement. She had left no room for argument.

Even if she had, she took off; uncaring as to whether he tagged along or not.

"So, Rosie. How old are you?"

He couldn't see, but sensed her frown. "Does it matter?"

"Yes, I don't want to be caught sneaking around with a one hundred and twenty-three year old, get caught and have to explain why. It would be much simpler if I could say that my secret lover and I wished for privacy, wouldn't you agree, Rosie?"

She fell speechless. Initially she had thought him a gentleman, speaking courteously.

There was no response she could offer that wouldn't end up with either her embarrassment or his accidental fall over the rail.

"I'm eighteen."

She could hear his grin as he spoke, "I'm nineteen, almost twenty. I should be the one leading."

The pathway came to a stop, ceasing her strides. "Congratulations, old man. Lead back to the tunnel."

He did so with optimism and cheerfulness. "I am under the impression that you are not fond of me."

"You're under the correct impression."