TSG 23 - Broken

"Is it broken? Can't we work it out? I can see in your eyes, you're ready to break. Don't look away." –Broken, Secondhand Serenade

---

Toby woke up, feeling a little uncomfortable. He was all sweaty but still a bit cold. This is why he hates being sick. It's stuffy, hot and cold at the same time. The only upside? Jae was still in his embrace. She was fast asleep pero pawis-pawisan na ito.

Dahan-dahan siyang bumangon para buksan ang electric fan. She stirred. That made him panic. He closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep while making sure that she's still in his arms.

Maya-maya'y narinig niya itong bumuntong-hininga. He knew that she's already awake. He was proven right when she tried to remove his arm around her.

"Geez, ang init!" she hissed. He opened his eyes and his gaze met hers. "Good, you're awake."

"Please don't leave me," he pleaded.

"Pawis-pawisan na 'ko, Toby. I need to change my clothes."

"You can use my shirt."

She grunted. Idinait nito ang likod ng palad nito sa leeg niya. He wanted to hold her hand, let it stay there, let her stay beside him. He must be going crazy.

"Mukhang okay ka na."

"Hindi pa. May sinat pa 'ko."

"Hindi mo ikamamatay ang sinat."

"Do I really have to be dying to have your sympathy?"

She rolled her eyes. "Stop being so melodramatic."

She tried to get up but he didn't let her. Cupping her face with his hand, he pressed his forehead against hers and sighed.

"I still have a few hours before this day officially ends, Jae."

"You're pushing your luck."

"Alam ko." He looked at her intently. "Look into my eyes. Can't you see the sincerity?"

"I can't see your eyes. Madilim na," she pointed out.

"Why are you being so difficult?"

"Because it's not simple, Toby. You can't just break my heart and expect me to be okay with it."

"I asked you to give me enough time, didn't I?"

"If I waited for the three-month deal to end, I'd end up with my heart, not only crushed, but pulverized as well."

"I would have mended it for you."

She shook her head. "You can't. I've been through enough already. I don't think I can go through another heartache."

"Bakit ba iniisip mo palagi na sasaktan kita?"

"Kasi sinaktan mo na 'ko ng maraming beses. I just can't get over that."

That is true. He can't deny that. But that's because he was still fixated to Jazz back then. Now, all he could think about is Jae. He can't possibly hurt her now. Dahil kapag masasaktan ito, alam niyang masasaktan din sya.

That's one of the many wonders of couples. Hurt even the half and you will inflict pain on the whole.

"Jae, lahat naman ng tao, nasasaktan. Akala mo ba hindi ako nasasaktan?"

"Alam kong masakit ang mga suntok ko, Toby. But that's a different kind of pain. It's physical. It can still heal. What you gave me left me a scar that will never fade away."

"I'm not talking about your punches." He took her hand and intertwined their fingers, then he brought their hands to his chest. "Every time you throw my gifts away, it's like you're also throwing my heart away. Alam mo ang masakit doon? It's like you don't even want to take what I'm offering to you. You're not even giving me a chance to try to make it up to you."