XVIII - Season of the Witch

"When I look over my shoulder

What do you think I see?

Some other cat lookin' over

His shoulder at me

And he's strange

Sure is strange"

  •  

"Idiots." Rosemary muttered as they parted, Mr Clarke going to sit with the teachers and the kids going to sit on the bleachers with the rest of the students. Rosemary, too proud and a smidge embarrassed to sit with a whole school of kids half her size, stayed stood beside the door. She kept her hands out of her pockets out of respect and didn't lean against the wall, but did cross her arms over her chest.

She tuned out to the speech (she would later claim it was because it was boring, instead of admitting how she was still upset about Will. She knew he was alive, but it still hurt to think of what he might be going through) and kept an eye on the boys and Eleven, noticing their whispering. Annoying, maybe slightly disrespectful, but nobody seemed to be noticing or listening in. And it could easily be excused ass comforting, unlike the amused whisperings of two boys a little way from them.

It was when everyone was dismissed at the sound of the bell that Rosemary was pulled out of her thoughts. She was about to start towards a slightly annoyed looking Mike when she was stopped by two teachers standing in front of her.

"Why, if it isn't Rosemary Stark." Mrs Jenkins said. She was an extremely short lady, probably in her sixties by now, with curly white hair. She used to teach Rosemary English. "Haven't you grown! I remember you and Little Nancy running around barely this high." She laughed, holding her hand somewhere around Rosemarys hip. Which Rosemary did thing was an exaggeration, but didn't comment on (she was wrong, however. She had been that tall and had plenty of growth spurts since).

"It is so sweet of you to be looking after the boys." Mrs V (Rosemary could not remember her name for the life of her) said, smiling softly. She had black hair (dyed) and used to teach Rosemary and Nancy Mathematics. "They used to talk about you a lot, and it's important for them to have someone they trust."

"They talk about me?" Rosemary furrowed her eyebrows. She knew the boys liked her, but she didn't think she was really worthy of them talking about her at school. She was, after all, just Nancys way-too-intimidating-for-a-lady best friend. 

"Oh, not so much anymore." Mrs V shrugged. "I think that they think it isn't cool enough or something." Doubtful, and Rosemary nodded along anyway. Kids grow out of talking about their siblings and their siblings friends as if they were the whole world, she didn't expect anything less.

"Anyway, we're proud of you for the young woman you've grown into." Mrs Jenkins said, putting a hand on Rosemarys arm. "You've always been such a smart girl. I'm glad they have you to look after-"

"Troy peed himself!"

"Oh dear." Mrs V sighed. "Poor lad, we'd better be sorting that out. It was nice talking to you." Rosemary caught Elevens eye as they walked away, and the girl walked towards her as Rosemary assessed what was going on. She gestured for Lucas to get a hold of the dumbfounded Mike, and they started on their way to the AV room.