IX - Heaven Knows

"One, two, three and four

The devil's knocking at your door

Caught in the eye of a dead man's lie

Start your life with your head held high

Now you're on your knees

With your head hung low

Big man tells you where to go

Tell 'em it's good

Tell 'em okay

Don't do a goddamn thing they say"

  •  

"Hey, Stark!" Carol stopped Rosemary as she was walking post and Rosemary sighed, taking the unlit cigarette form between her lips and stopping. She looked over them, assessing the situation slightly. It didn't look too good. "Really, cornering the boy with the missing brother? Fucking terrific, guys. Keep up the good work." She said venomously, putting the cigarette back between her lips and flipping open her zippo to light it. It was new-ish, since Nancy had gotten it for Rosemary for her sixteenth birthday. It had her name engraved onto the side, and a Rosemary plant engraved underneath it. Rosemary had lost countless lighters before it, but had never even misplaced this one. Nancy smiled nearly every time she saw it. But not this time.

"Oh, you don't know what he did." Carol smirked, looking happy at the chance to set Rosemary on someone. She took the photo from Nancys hands, though Nancy chased it slightly to get it back, and handed it to Rosemary. Nancys hands curled back into her chest and she frowned, not wanting Rosemarys temper unleashed yet again. Her perfect grades could only keep her in the school so long. Rosemary let smoke billow out of her mouth, not missing how Carol scrunched her nose as it went towards her face, and took the photograph. She narrowed her eyes at Carol before looking down at it. She scoffed, putting the cigarette back between her lips and giving the photo back to Nancy. 

"I take it back." She said, looking at Jonathan with an almost sinister smile. "Have your fun with the little perv." She appeared to be containing her anger, but her fists were clenched inside her pocket and she seemed to be biting on the end of her cigarette. She moved to walk away again before she was interrupted mid-step.

"What? You're not going to do anything yourself?" Tommy asked incredulously. Steve didn't say anything of it, arms crossed as he looked at the floor - glared, maybe - and waited for the chance to go back at Jonathans throat. Nancy was looking at Rosemary almost pleadingly - silently asking her not to do something like some might think. Rosemary knew the look all too well. She knew this before she even looked up to meet Nancys eyes. Smoke blew out of her nose as she huffed, and she looked between Carol and Tommy.

"What? You want me to go all psycho bitch? Have one of my mental breakdowns?" She asked, raising an eyebrow as she quotes Carols words from earlier that day.

"Did you tell her?" Carol hissed, looking to Nancy, who shook her head quickly. Rosemary laughed at that, shaking her head. "She didn't have to." She said. "I have ears like a hawk, Perkins." She smirked at Carol, before leaning away from her. She looked over to Nancy. "Still going to the game, Nance?"

"Yeah, you can go on home without me." Nancy said quietly, hands gripping the photo in her hands as she refused to look at Rosemary.

"All right then." Rosemary nodded. "I trust you'll take care of the creep, Harrington?" She said, leaning to the side to look at him properly. She wondered why Jonathan hadn't bolted yet, when she realised they were both leaning on his care and had his bag.

"Yeah." He said, now glaring at Jonathan. Rosemary smiled, satisfied. "I'll be on my way, then." She sent Jonathan a sweet (read: sinister, creepy, predatory) smile before turning on her heel and continuing down the parking lot to her own car, keys now twirling on her finger and smoke form her cigarette trailing behind her. This time, nobody stopped her.

And Steve grabbed Jonathans bag.