X - Runaway

"And I was running far away

Would I run off the world someday?

Nobody knows, nobody knows

And I was dancing in the rain

I felt alive and I can't complain

But now take me home"

•  

"Hey, Princess? Where you off to?" Nancy jumped and whipped around to look at the road beside her. She shouldn't have been surprised to see Rosemarys car beside her, given the name she was called. Rosemary was leaning over the console, the passengers window wound down so that she could talk to Nancy, and a cigarette hanging from her red lips. Nancy could see the red stains form her lipstick, as usual, and found herself unsure of what to say under the girls gaze.

This was not unusual. Nancy was prone to becoming tongue-tied around Rosemary. Though that was usually her flirting and her jokes, not the nicknames she used oh-so-frequently. Nancy pegged it down to her situation, walking through Hawkins to her friends car. "Nance?" Rosemarys sing-song voice coaxed her back to reality. "Need a ride?"

"You're going to opposite way." Nancy managed, gesturing behind her to the direction Rosemary was driving in as she bent down to look through the window. The car smelt of cigarettes, as per usual, and Rosemary flicked her cigarette out of the drivers window.

"Was going to find you anyway." She shrugged, leaning across further to open the passengers door.  Nancy stepped back so that it didn't hit her legs. "Hop in, Nancy Pants." Nancy hesitated a moment, pursing her lips, before she got in.

"So," Rosemary said, pulling away from the curb and doing a U-turn. "Where you off to, because the game sure as hell ain't over and lover boy isn't around. And your house is the other way from school." She shrugged. Nancy wondered how often Rosemary analysed what she was doing. It seemed like she was just one of those people, constantly picking things up and watching everyone who passes.

"Steves house." Nancy said, sitting back. The seat was placed exactly how far back Nancy wanted and angled the same way. She didn't know it, but Rosemary didn't let anyone else who went in her car change it. She told Rosemary the address and the girl set off. "Without him?" She asked. "What, want to check under his bed for dirty magazines? I'll tell you, they're definitely there." Nancy groaned, and would have hit Rosemary on the arm had she not been driving.

"We're not even going to his house, really. It's just, on the way there." She sighed. "I'm going to check Barbs car." Rosemary hummed in acknowledgement, turning a corner. It was quiet a moment, the only noise being faint music from the turned-down radio.

"I'm sorry." Nancys eyes snapped to Rosemary, who was still watching the road. She was composed apart from the tapping on the steering wheel. Rosemary tapped and fidgeted and smoked when she was nervous, just like how she gripped and twitched and smoked when she was annoyed. 

She smoked usually anyway, so that was quite irrelevant. It's just what Nancy knew.

"What?" Nancy said, eyes glued to Rosemarys face, even if the other girl wouldn't look at her. It definitely wasn't road safety, because just a couple days prior Rosemary would keep eye contact with Nancy for minutes straight without a single wrong move on the road.

"I said sorry." Rosemary said. "I've been a real dickhead today. There's no excuse for it, I'm just a ratty bitch." Nancy didn't disagree. "My tempers just been a bitg bad today." Damn straight, Nancy thought.

"I could tell." Nancy shifted to look back ahead, down the street she was on the previous night. "Thank you for not snapping at Jonathan today. I... I didn't want you to get in trouble." She might have liked to see Rosemary defend her, but not if it got her expelled or, god forbid, arrested.

"Anything for you, Fancy Nancy." Rosemary sent her a grin. Nancy was about to object, but her eye caught onto something ahead and she stopped herself.

"HERE!" She yelled, making Rosemary jump. "Stop here. That's her car."