Chapter 20 : Consequences

>>> Final Chapter <<<

A year went by with anyone barely noticing. With his full focus on studies, as well as extracurricular activities that he needed to be involved in to increase his chances of getting into Peking, Weizhou barely even had time for his music and friends.

Weizhou hardly left his room during the period of final exams. He knew he may have lost things because they were simply beyond his control. He had placed his heart in someone else's hands, only to have it be torn to pieces. And hence he was in no way going to not give his 100% to this one thing he actually had control over. He was already envisioning his future at Peking, one thing which was still within his grasp. Fuck love.

Each time his parents and friends questioned how the exam was, he'd give the same response. 'It was alright."

"Aunty, when he says 'alright' what he means is 'I nailed it!' so you can be rest assured that he's getting his ass into Peking!" Wang commented one evening.

Mrs.Xu giggled. "What about you?"

"Meh.., not my cup of tea. I have bigger aspirations.." Wang brushed it off.

Weizhou scowled. "Such as?"

"Come on man, haven't I already told you?"

Mrs.Xu turned to Weizhou expecting an answer.

"He's gonna apply to every college and if he gets selected to more than one, he's gonna pick one at random."

"Oh..that's...um..something." Mrs.Xu replied.

Weizhou playfully nudged his friend and led him outside.

******

As expected, Weizhou passed with high grades. Owing to Weizhou's positive influence, Wang was close behind.

Weizhou's parents secretly arranged to throw a party for their son and his friends on the day of their graduation.

A couple of days before the big day, Weizhou was in his room trying on his graduation attire. It took a while before he noticed that his mother was watching him while leaning against the doorframe.

"Hey mom.., didn't see you there." He smiled.

To his surprise, she didn't return the smile. Instead she pursed her lips as if she was holding back some emotions.

Weizhou paused his task. "Mom...is everything okay?" He slowly approached her.

She sniffed. "Yeah.." She managed a barely visible smile. "You made it.." She paused to wipe a tear,. "I mean...despite everything that happened last year.., you..you" her lips trembled.

"Mom.." Weizhou spoke emotionally and wrapped her in his embrace.

"I felt so ..helpless.. You were so broken. You have no idea how hard it was to see my baby so heartbroken. I even decided that I didn't care whether you got into Peking or not, as long as you're happy again."

Weizhou laughed through tears. "I'm happy mom. I'm sorry you had to see me like that, but I'm content now." He drew back to look at her.

She beamed despite her glossy eyes."You know.., you'll find love again.  The best kind. The kind that'll be a supplement to your life.., as it should be."

Weizhou breathed in sharply as she spoke.

"...Nobody deserves it more." She added.

_______________________