Chapter 19 : Time is Cruel

Hours turned to days, days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months. Miles away from Weizhou, in a small cozy home in Shanghai was his lover embracing the excruciating pain and emptiness he believed he deserved.

After having found out that he wasn't going to graduate and witnessing his dearest Weizhou being kissed by his old lover, who he saw as qualified enough to deserve Weizhou, JingYu had had an epiphany.

After much pestering from his father, he gave the 'okay' to inform his uncle about his whereabouts. The reason for his hesitation was he wanted to make sure that Weizhou wouldn't come looking for him. Now that almost two months had passed, he knew that the chances of that happening were low although a part of him desperately hoped for it.

Most of the time he was in denial of the fact that the damage done was beyond repair. There were times he yearned to visit that beautiful small town in Beijing and watch Weizhou from a distance, but he knew it would only worsen his silent suffering.

                                              ******

One fine evening Weizhou returned home after basketball practices to find his parents waiting for him with a serious expression on their faces.

Weizhou had long come to terms with the fact that JingYu left him as if he was a piece of trash not even worth a simple 'Goodbye'. Whoever that dared to bring up JingYu in a conversation received a death glare from him.

"What'd I miss?" Weizhou asked his parents as he placed his things on the sofa.

His mother turned to look at his father.

Mr.Xu inhaled deeply. "Uncle Chang received a call from...JingYu's father. As we assumed, he's been there all this time.."

There was no trace of a reaction from Weizhou. "Good for him." He pursed his lips.

That was the type of response Mrs.Xu did not expect but hoped for.

"Mom is there anything to eat? I'm starving!" Weizhou asked picking up his things.

His parents exchanged a look of wonder.

Once he entered his   room and closed the door behind him, Weizhou threw his things aside and sat   on the bed. As much as he hated JingYu, he was relieved to get the   confirmation that he was safe and sound.

   The way JingYu used to make him feel was tucked far away in the recesses of   his mind.

He recalled how after a week of waiting to hear from JingYu, he broke down in front of Wang.

Having barely held it together, he had finally let go.

"Why did he do this to me? How could he be   so cruel?"  He had asked Wang  repeatedly.

He had never been one   to shed tears in front of others but this time he was too consumed by pain to hold back.

The bitter feelings spilled into the fond memories he made with his first true love, leaving stains that seemed unlikely to fade.

To his parents' relief, eventually he was back to being the focused and hardworking Xu Weizhou who had one goal in mind: getting into Peking.

Although he was broken at first, he got back up and recovered on his own.

And although he managed not to have a single thought of JingYu during the day, at night, at least once a week he had a dream with traces of him.

Each time he cursed his body for betraying his will. Little did he know that it was much worse for JingYu as he had similar dreams every single night and each morning he woke up consumed by a desire he was unable to fulfill.

Realizing that his body still craved the touch of a lover who vanished without a word,  Weizhou was determined to find a way to get him out of his system completely.  It was the very reason he decided to give it a go with a girl who had harbored a crush on him for years.

They  went out on a couple of casual dates. It had only made him feel worse. It is then that he decided to solely focus on his academic goals and music, without   forcing things.

Ironically enough, Weizhou and Liang kept in touch. Although Liang was well aware of Weizhou's situation   with JingYu, he was hesitant to even test the waters to see if there was a possibility for him and Weizhou to get back together one day. He was burnt once by the same boy after all. However he had no idea that secretly Weizhou believed that he deserved what JingYu did to him. He believed that it was karma's way of getting back at him for cheating on Liang.

It was a lesson learnt.

Within a couple of days almost the entire town got to know where JingYu had moved to. There had been so many ridiculous rumors ranging from stories such as JingYu had committed some crime and run away from the police to more sensible tales like Weizhou had broken his heart: The irony.

So by the time Weizhou decided to casually share the news with Wang, Wang already knew. They were out having a snack after school. Once Wang revealed that he had already heard the news, Weizhou nodded and stared down at his snack.

"Hey.." Wang nudged him. "How are you holding up? He asked gently.

Weizhou looked up at him. "You know...I'm over it."

Wang studied his face carefully. "Are you ..really?"

Weizhou smiled bitterly. "It's just.... I'm stuck between not wanting to feel that type of hurt ever again but wanting to feel that type of love again... someday.."

Hearing his words, Wang's heart ached.

"Sounds to me like you're still hung up on him." Wang commented.

"Oh come on, how often have I been talking about him these days?" Weizhou asked challengingly.

Wang giggled. "Okay okay, I'm only messing with you."

There was a brief moment of comfortable silence.

"It's just another chapter in my life that is way behind me now." Weizhou said earnestly.

                     >>>><<<<