Chapter 15: Spies and Jealousy

"So, as you all know, we are offically at war with the Winter Pack," Michael announced as the Dahlias stood before us. I watched all of them as they all watched Michael. "This run, along with the others, will be to train up. Battle each other, teach each other, help each other. We have numbers, the Winters don't, but they might call in some reinforcements. Now go."

The pack dispersed and started shifting and heading into the forest in groups. Some even started their battles right in the parking lot. Michael looked down at me as I watched Daniel and Silver take off without me. I had already told them that I planned on running with Michael today and if not, I'd run on my own. "Your friends are leaving," Michael said, looking over just as Daniel and Silver disappeared.

"I know. I just figured I'd take you up on that offer of places you go to be alone," I replied, smiling at him.

He smiled back and then motioned towards the trees. "After you," he said.

I rolled my eyes. "Because making someone go first to a place they've never been makes total sense," I remarked, but turned and headed toward the trees anyway. I shifted before I even stepped into the forest and trotted ahead. I slowed and looked back Michael loped up beside me.

Since you don't know where you're going, I'll lead the way, he said as his tongue fell out of his grey muzzle.

I snapped at him playfully and he bounded away from me as I followed. We passed other wolves who were either relaxing near small streams or wolves who were play-fighting. I dug my claws into the soft soil and flung up pieces of moss and clumps of packed soil with decaying pine-needles mixed in with them. I took in huge lungfulls of fresh forest air and listened to the chirping birds fluttering from tree to tree. It was amazing to feel my muscles coiling and stretching as Michael and I raced through the trees, side by side.

His chuckle echoed through my mind. Enjoying yourself? he asked.

Oh God am I enjoying myself, I replied and then brushed up against him, lightly nipping his shoulder.

He yipped and nipped me on the flank as I raced ahead of him. I yelped playfully and spun around to knock him to the ground. I wrapped my jaws gently around his muzzle and then licked his cheek, wagging my tail. He pushed me off and then ran off as fast as he could, which was pretty fast. I chased after him, struggling to catch up. When he glanced back at me, he slowed so that I could catch up to him again.

You run too fast, I said, giving him a look.

No, you just run too slow, he replied.

I nipped him on the shoulder for that, and then slowed down to a walk. I wanted to enjoy the path to get wherever he was taking me. Michael slowed too and walked along beside me. I glanced around at the towering trees as we pushed through ferns and other forest plants. I loved it here, and if I could, I would neevr go back to society. I would live out here for the rest of my life as a wolf, never changing back to human, never having to deal with anything that involved people.

It would be lonely without you, though, Michael said, and then I realized that I hadn't been keeping my thoughts to myself.

I looked at him and let my tongue loll out. I wouldn't leave. I would probably go crazy from being on my own, I replied.

Who ever said you'd be alone? he asked. I've always wanted to live my life here, and nowhere else.

But you have the pack to look after.

He stopped and I stopped too. I didn't become alpha by choice, Ren. I was forced into this, he said.

How?