Chapter 14: Strategy

Suddenly both Michael and Dad were wolves, charging, snapping, growling. I kept my eyes on Michael, ready to shift if he needed help. He was strong, but I knew my father was stronger.

Michael's jaws wrapped around Dad's neck, but he countered Michael's grip with sharp claws to his chest. Michael growled out his pain and I saw blood. Michael stepped back and Dad took the opportunity. He jumped onto Michael, knocking him over onto his back, snapping for Michael's neck.

"Michael!" I cried, and started running towards them. There was an opening as Michael tried to get up to attack, to defend himself, and I saw my father begin to close in on Michael's neck.

I jumped, shifted, and landed on my father's back, biting down on his back and throwing myself to the side as hard as I could. We smacked into the ground and pain ripped through my chest as I felt one of my ribs crack, but I still got back up when my father did, assaulting him with bites anywhere I could get ahold of. He snarled at me and then stumbled and fell, revealing his neck. I locked onto his bare throat and moved for it, parting my jaws and letting the most blood-thirsty growl I had ever used rip out from my jaws.

"Renae, no!" Michael yelled, and then I was yanked back from my father who was now struggling to get up. I shifted back to human and felt Michael's strong arms wrap around me and pull me back.

My father shifted too, but remained on the ground for a few moments, shock obvious in his face. He looked up at me and I glared right back, wishing Michael hadn't stopped me from killing him. He hit my mother, and he tried to convince Michael to break me. He told me that I couldn't have a life, forced my friends to not speak to me, and tried to take me back home by force. Those things didn't go over too well with me, and I wanted him to pay for it.

My father, who was beginning to regain himself, slowly stood up. "You would kill your own father to protect him?" he asked, motioning to Michael. Michael's grip tightened around me as I tensed.

"I would kill any wolf to protect him," I snarled. "Father or not."

He gave me a long look, and I could see anger and betrayal lacing through his eyes. "Very well then," he said, and then turned and walked out of the yard through the side gate, leaving me and Michael standing there.

I took a few deep breaths to control myself, and Michael didn't let me go until he was sure I had calmed down. "Are you okay?" he asked as I turned around to look at him.

"I don't know," I replied. "But he'll be back. One thing I inherited from him was determination. He won't give up that easily."

Michael nodded. "I know. Let's go back inside," he said, and then placed his hand on the small of my back as we headed back into the house. I went upstairs for dry clothes while Michael made some calls. I knew my father would be back, and not by himself. He would bring reinforcements, and I just hoped it wouldn't be my uncle.

After I had gotten dressed, I went back downstairs with the first aid kit for Michael's chest. Michael was sitting at the dining room table with his phone and shirt laying in front of him. The shirt was bloodied and the phone was cracked.

I set the kid down in front of him and pushed the shirt and phone away as I sat down beside him. "Michael," I began.

He looked at me, then at the kit, and then shook his head. "I'll be fine," he said.

I sighed and then grabbed his shoulder and turned him around. "I don't care," I replied, and then opened the kit and grabbed the little bottle of peroxide, some cotton balls, and began to clean out the claw marks.

I hated my father even more now. He was a monster, a horrible alpha, and a controling little bastard. If only I had been able to rip his throat out at that moment, to end his existence. "Thank you," Michael said.

I glanced up at him, and then grabbed for a bandage. "I'm used to cleaning wounds. I've had plenty of my own in the few good fights I've been in," I replied.

"Not just for the wounds. Your father would have killed me if you hadn't attacked him," he said.

"I've learned to protect the things that are important to me from him. He has a habit of taking things away from me," I replied.

He reached out and genlty touched my cheek with his forefinger. "I won't let him do that anymore," he said.

I smiled a little, but then turned serious as I made sure the bandage was secure. I let my hand linger for a second his pec, feeling how warm his skin was under my hand. Then I let my hand drop and I leaned back in my chair. "So how are we going to get the Winters to see my father isn't a good alpha?" I asked.

"Well, it didn't exactly go as I planned so we're going to have to come up with something else, and soon. One alpha characteristic that your father posesses is strategy," he explained.

I nodded. "But now this won't be about him getting me back, it'll be about him taking total control. He's always wanted more space for the Winters, but the Dahlias, in his eyes, have always been in the way. He's been trying to keep up an alliance, but now that his own daughter has left for the other pack, he'll break that and go out for blood," I replied.

Michael nodded. "And now we just have to figure out how he's going to go about it."

It was obvious. "The Winter Pack doesn't have very many numbers, but my uncle's pack does. He'll probably call him in to settle things," I said, supressing a shiver. I hoped my father wouldn't, but I knew he would.

Michael gave me a look. "Your uncle?" he asked.

I hesitated. "Uncle Zane Taylor," I replied. "He's one of the scariest people I've ever met. Even my dad is scared of him."

"We won't be. Where does your uncle live?" he asked.

I shrugged. "All over the place. Last time we heard from him he was in Washington on some 'business.' He could be in New York right now, though," I answered.

I could see Michael's eyes churning with strategy, and I felt a weird pinch in my chest. Not a bad pinch, but more like a happy pinch. So this was what it was like to be a true alpha, strategizing and anticipating the moves of your enemies.

The phone rang, and Michael reached for it. He gave me a look, and then answered, "Hello, Mr. Taylor."

I listened carefully. "This is your last chance. Either my daughter returns to me, or this is war," I heard my father reply.

"Since your daughter won't return," Michael began. "This means war."

"Very well." The line went dead and Michael set the phone back down onto the table.

"So now all we have to do is inform the pack," Michael said.

I nodded. "How about we all go for a run tomorrow? Before we leave, you let them know. Tell them to start training, start bulking up. They should have fake battles so that they can practice fighting. I could teach them some things, if they want," I said.

Michael smiled at me approvingly. "It's a wonderful idea, Ren. You really are an alpha," he said.

My playfullness came back then and I smiled back. "So you doubted me?" I asked.

He laughed and shook his head. "No, I never doubted you."

"Good," I replied. "Otherwise I would've had to show you I am an alpha."

One of his eyebrows lifted. "Really now?" he asked.

I nodded. "Yes. It wouldn't have been pretty either."

He leaned forward, resting his hands on my knees. "What if I told you that I don't belive you?"

I smiled and leaned forward, kissing him on the lips. My second kiss in the same day.

"That's all?" he asked when I pulled back. "I thought you said it wouldn't be pretty."

I laughed. "I'm going easy on you," I replied.

"Sure," he said.

I laughed and kissed him again. I could really get used to this.