Chapter 5: Submission

The house was silent, aside from Michael's soft snoring, as I snuck down the stairs as quietly as I could. I had my converse in one hand, ready to slip them on once I was outside. I wanted to see my friends, to tell them everything that had happened... including how he thought he knew me.

I reached the bottom of the stairs and hit a squeaky spot in the floor. I froze as Michael's snores stopped. Everything fell dead quiet, and it seemed as though even my heart had stopped beating. Seconds felt like minutes before Michael's snoring started again. I let out a silent breath and scurried to the door, softly unlocking it and then opening it up just enough for me to slip through.

It was dark outside, and the night air was warm on my bare arms. I was wearing my night tank top but with one of my black skinnies with rips along the fronts of the legs. I walked to the sidewalk, sat down, pulled my shoes on and tied them. I glanced back at the house, saw no movement, stood, and then took off at an easy jog down the street in the direction of Alice's house. I pulled out my phone and checked the time: 12:59AM. Maybe she was still up.

There were no cars on the street, and all the houses were dark and silent, including Alice's house. I groaned, but then stalked over to her side gate. It swung open and I slipped inside, jogging around until her illuminated window came into view. I let out a sigh of relief and strode up to her window, peering inside through her curtains. I saw two fingures, both very familiar and laughing. I gently tapped on the window and the figures froze.

"What was that?" I heard Lilly ask.

I groaned. "Open the window," I whispered sort of loudly.

Alice stood up and pushed aside the curtain and jumped, nearly screaming. "Ren?" she asked.

I put my hands on my hips. "Just open the window."

She pushed open the window and I climbed in. "What are you doing here?" Lilly asked.

"Escaping hell, obviously," I replied, closing the window behind me.

Alice sat down on her bed and Lilly sat down beside her while I stood there. Something seemed  a little off. They seemed happy to see me, but something was holding them back. Was it the fact that Alice's parnts were asleep? Or was it something else?

"What's wrong with you guys? Aren't you happy to see me?" I asked.

Lilly went to say something, but stopped herself. Alice put her hand on Lilly's and stood up, looking like she was about to throw up or something. She finally took a deep breath, and then looked me in the eyes with a steady and level gaze. "We've been told not to speak to you, or hang out with you," she said slowly, as if speaking to a little child.

"By who?" I asked, stunned, shocked, and suddenly angry again.

"Your dad," Lilly piped up in a barely audible voice.

I clenched my fists. "And you're going to listen to him?" I asked.

Alice gave me an incredulous look. "He's the alpha, Ren, we have to," she said.

"No, you don't. My father is an idiot, a shitty alpha. Hell, I wouldn't even call him that," I growled.

Alice glared at me. "How can you talk about him like that?! He is your father, your own flesh and blood!"

My mouth dropped open. "You've said things about him too, Alice. You're the one who even said I should take over now," I replied.

She slowly took in a breath, trying to compose herself. "Please leave," she said slowly.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Fine then," I snapped, and then turned, shoved open the window, and jumped out the window, shifting into my wolf form in mid air. I landed with a soft thud and then ran out of the backyard, easily slipping through the gate and then running down the street. Now my own father had turned my friends against me.