Chapter 16

It was getting close to the Interhigh tournament. We were all gathered around in the gym, going over a couple last things before the end of practice.

"We have one last comment, it's from Kiyoko," Takeda said.

Kiyoko was staring at the ground. "I'm not very... good with words but I kinda did something. With the help of Myra"

"Nope, don't give me any credit, this was all you," I tell her.

I carried the long piece of cloth up to the balcony and she followed behind me. We spread it out then hung the banner over the railing. The team gasped seeing the banner.

"We have a banner?"

"I found it while I was cleaning up so I thought I'd wash it," Kiyoko says.

"Yeah! I'm fired up!" Tanaka exclaimed.

"You're awesome Kiyoko and Myra, thanks for everything!" Noya said.

"We're ready now, let's win this thing!" They shouted together.

"Not yet," Daichi told them. "Listen guys, I think there's more"

"Come on Kiyoko, you can do it," I tell her.

She looked nervous, her cheeks were turning pink. "You can do it," she told them before running off.

The guys all went silent, stunned by her words. All the guys, except the first years, started crying. I climbed down the ladder, standing beside the first years who looked so confused.

"Kiyoko, she's never done anything like this before," Daichi sobbed, covering his face with his arm.

"I don't get it, why are they so freaked out by this?" Tsukki asks.

"We can win! The first round is all ours!" Daichi said loudly.

"Yeah!" All the guys cheered.

Tsukki still seemed a little shocked by everything. Kiyoko was standing aside, her cheeks still pink. She smiled a bit, seeing the team all riled up.

"Who knew they'd get so riled up over 3 words," I say with a chuckle.

***

The day of the competition came. We were all walking up to the gym when we heard talk about the team being called the wingless crows, well the boy's team anyway. They said something about the girl's team being amazing and hot. We all stopped in a line behind them, me being in front of everyone else. I cleared my throat, making them turn around.

"Uhh," the two boys turned around, looking up at me.

"What did you just say?" Tanaka asks, getting up in their faces.

I shove him back. "Sorry about him, he's hot headed"

"Hey, you're the Ace of Hearts, aren't you?" One of them asks, pointing to me.

"That I am"

"What are you doing here? The girl's competition is in another gym"

"Oh, you must not've heard. I'm their assistant coach, but also the captain of my team"

"Whoa"

"Well, see you two later," I tell them with a closed eyed smile, waving goodbye.

The team had gone ahead so I walked in with Kiyoko and Takeda. When we got in Tanaka and Noya started circling us, like they were trying to keep people away for some reason. I grab the back of Noya's shirt while Kiyoko hits Tanaka with a book.