Chapter Thirty Two

I walk slowly up to the castle having stood at the edge of the Forest in contemplation for several minutes. It must be done by now.

The sun rises as I make it into the courtyard. I don't know where to go. I don't feel as though I can go back in without Harry, but I can't stay in the courtyard either. I consider leaving and going back home, but I don't know where we are. Somewhere in Scotland is nowhere near specific enough.

Eventually, I drift up the steps, avoiding the eyesight of Neville who looks down at the Sorting Hat he's picked up from the rubble, and into the Entrance Hall. Hermione and Ron are waiting expectantly for my return. I give them a nod to confirm and Hermione breaks down into tears. Ron puts an arm around her, but he's shaking too.

None of us have a plan of what to do now. Everyone around us is still on edge, waiting for Voldemort to return. We hover wordlessly in the Entrance Hall, waiting to be given something to do.

"Who's that?" I hear Ginny ask sharply from outside. "Hagrid's carrying?" The three of us exchange knowing looks. Voldemort is bringing Harry's body back to taunt us "Neville, who is that?"

We join a group of others pouring out of the castle to watch the oncoming parade. Hagrid, a man who looks half giant, clutches Harry like a baby in his big arms as he lurches forward awkwardly, ropes extending from his neck. Three Death Eaters - one in front, two behind - pull him along like a tethered beast. Behind, Bellatrix and Narcissa walk beside Voldemort himself, with Nagini beside him.

Hermione draws in a sharp breath and something about it, the unadulterated sense of loss contained within it, causes those around her to look and know as well.

"What's going on here, Neville?" Arthur Weasley asks, his tone flat. Neville starts to speak but falters and his eyes fall to the Sorting Hat in his hand.

We stand silently, defeated, as the procession comes to a halt before them. All eyes drift to Hagrid and what lays in his arms.

"No ... NO!" Ginny's primal cry echoes over the grounds as she rushes towards Voldemort, but Arthur steps between and wraps his daughter in his arms, letting her struggle briefly before pulling her tighter, closer, safer.

"SILENCE!" Voldemort shouts, pointing his wand to the sky with a crack. "Stupid girl. You cry for that?" He gestures to Harry's still body. "Tell me. These last few hours - as you collected the dead and tended your wounded - was he by your side?" He surveys us and nods as if our silence is answer enough. "While your hands ran dark with the blood of mothers and sons, fathers and daughters, brothers and sisters, his were clasped in prayer - but it was a prayer for one and one only. While you battled courageously, until you could no longer will yourself to stand, he had long since fallen to his knees. While you cursed me until your voices grew ragged, he begged me for mercy in a voice as meek as a child's." Voldemort's eyes narrow. "So do not cry for that. He's not worthy of your tears. And do not despair of his betrayal. You were never in his heart. Not for one single solitary beat."

"Liar!" Ron cries, defiantly. Voldemort flicks his wand and Ron drops to his knees, grimacing in pain. Voldemort gestures to him.

"Did you not hear me! Harry Potter is dead! From this day forward, you put your faith in me or suffer the consequences." He looks up to the sky as he basks in the glory. "HARRY POTTER IS DEAD!" The Death Eaters snigger and Nagini hisses madly as Voldemort, looking a touch mad himself, rakes his eyes over us. "Now is the time to declare yourself."

There's a nervous murmur among the crowd as everyone considers self-preservation.

"Draco..." A Death Eater summons, the picture of his son with long platinum hair and dark, empty eyes. Draco looks up, sees his father summon him forth with a short nod. He hesitates and Malfoy smiles thinly. "Draco, don't be stupid -"