Chapter Twenty Five

A bell tolls, coming from nowhere at the same time as everywhere.

"We're being called to the Great Hall," Neville says. "You guys better stay here."

"No," Harry says firmly. "This ends tonight."

Neville nods. "Okay then. There should be some spare robes in the corner: A few of us are in the Hospital Wing at the moment."

Hermione unlatches a cupboard in the corner of the room and takes four at random. As I quickly put it on over my own clothes, I realise I've been given a Slytherin one while the others have got Gryffindor.

Everyone is already moving out of the treehouse so I drop behind five or so Slytherins on their way out. Harry looks back for me as he's caught up in the mass of Gryffindors and I give him a confident nod as we meet eyes. Our small group feeds into the main Slytherin troop, and those that were in the treehouse move around me to shield any onlookers from realising the imposter. We walk in ridgid synchronisation, backs straight and in perfect rhythm, down to the Great Hall.

I try to mask my awe as we enter the Hall. The ceiling is enchanted to reflect the weather outside so it's a dark swirl of mist but nonetheless breathtaking. I turn with my group as we stand separate to the other houses coming into the hall.

The room is buzzing with the news of Harry's return, but from what I'm hearing my side it's all derogatory aside the few Slytherins that were part of the resistance who remain silent. My eyes go to the front where two Death Eaters - must be Amycus and Alecto Carrow - stand like sinister sentinels, their eyes raking the crowd for any sign of disorder. The other teachers stand at the right-hand side of the Hall, their faces looking ashen and defeated.

As a tall man with sweeping black robes and long, greasy hair enters from behind us, the room falls immediately silent. He moves to the front of the Hall and mounts the platform, taking the centre before speaking. This must be Snape.

"Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you here at this hour," Snape says, his voice slow and drawling. "It has come to my attention that earlier this evening... Harry Potter was sighted in Hogsmeade." A murmered thrill fills the Hall and the eyes of an older witch amongst the teachers glisten with curiosity and hope. Snape raises his voice, briefly, to quell the noise in the Hall. "I mention this in the hopes that truth will not be supplanted by rumor. For myself and a few select members of the staff this comes as little surprise. We have, for some time, considered Mr. Potter's return to Hogwarts to be not only possible but inevitable. Consequently, in the past several months and under my specific direction, exhaustive defensive strategies have been employed to defeat any attempt Mr. Potter might make to breach these walls. But know this. Should anyone - student or staff - attempt to aid Mr. Potter, that person will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression. Rest assured: so long as I am Headmaster at Hogwarts, Harry Potter will never again step foot in this castle."

Applause erupts, but only from the Slytherins. I stand in silent protest along with the resistance members who stand, stoney-faced as their school family supports such a misguided cause.

Snape raises a hand and the room returns to silence. "Now then. If anyone here has knowledge of Mr. Potter's movements this evening... I invite them to step forward now." Snape's eyes rake the Hall to dead silence. A nervous shift of glances are cast around the other houses, but the Slytherin resistance holds fast, unmoving. My heart goes to my mouth as I hear someone step out into the aisle between Gryffindor and Slytherin. We're going to be outed.

"I think I can help you out with that..." They say, but it's Harry himself who appears from the crowd. "It would seem that, despite your 'exhaustive defensive strategies', you have a bit of a security problem, Headmaster," he says mockingly. Snape stares in stunned disbelief, then his gaze shifts as one by one, others emerge. Ron steps out next, followed by Hermione. I move past the Slytherins to join them at their side as the Order of the Phoenix joins us. Some faces I recognise, like Bill and Fleur, but the others I don't. "And I'm afraid it's rather extensive."