Chapter Twenty Six

A controlled chaos ensues around us as prefects arrange the evacuation of the first and second years after collectively agreeing they were too young.

We move against the flow, heading up while everyone heads downstairs to prepare for battle.  

"Harry," Ron says urgently as he and Hermione follow quickly behind. "Hermione and I have been thinking. It doesn't really matter if we find the Horcrux."

Harry stops and frowns. "What're you saying?"

"Unless we can destroy it," Hermione finishes and I nod. That was my concern when he made the deal with Griphook.

"So we were thinking -"

"You were thinking," Hermione interrupts, correcting him. "It's Ron's idea. And it's brilliant."

"You destroyed Tom Riddle's Diary with a Basilisk fang, right? Well, we know where we might find one, don't we?"

Harry looks at the two of them, pondering it. It could work. "Okay. But take this." He hands Hermione the Marauder's Map. "That way you can find us when you get back."

"Where are you going?" Hermione asks.

"Ravenclaw Common Room," Harry answers. "Got to start somewhere." Hermione nods and slips the map into her bag before she and Ron head off. Just before they turn the corner, Ron looks back before disappearing around it.

I follow Harry upwards, over hundreds of stone steps towards Ravenclaw tower. As we dash across a bridge, I hear Luna's voice behind us.

"Harry! Wait!" she cries. "I need to talk to you!" He glances back, slowing, but doesn't break stride.

"I'm a bit preoccupied right now, Luna."

"But you won't find anything where you're going. You're wasting your time."

Harry frowns, mildly annoyed, but doesn't glance back. "We'll talk later, Luna," he says dismissively, continuing up, but I look back, waiting to hear her out.

"Harry -"

"Later!"

Luna stops, watching us recede. Then suddenly she shouts after us. "HARRY POTTER! YOU LISTEN TO ME RIGHT NOW!" Harry stops, stunned, and turns. I grin as Luna collects herself, obviously not used to raising her voice. "Don't you remember what Cho said about Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem? 'There's not a person alive who's seen it.'"

Harry stares dumbly back and shrugs. "So?"

I widen my eyes in realisation. "We have to talk to someone who's dead," I say slowly and Luna nods. Harry stares at me oddly when suddenly there's a rumble outside. Looking out, I see the teachers, wands aloft, casting an immense shield charm over the castle. The air ripples, a deep red dome forming, before becoming invisible. That should buy us some time for now, but if the Death Eaters are in the numbers claimed, it won't hold them for long.

"It's very impressive, isn't it?" Luna says, following my gaze. I go to respond, but Harry winces beside me, clutching his scar.

"You good?" I ask as Harry blinks, the pain seemingly disappearing. He looks back outside and I follow his gaze in time to see blazes of light and smoking tendrils plummetting towards the castle. The bridge beneath us shakes under our feet on impact, but the shield holds. The sky fills with fire again and Harry realises he's running out of options.

"Okay, Luna. Who've you got in mind?"