Testing Day

My breaths were rapid and panicked. Beads of sweat ran down my forehead. I wasn't really dead, thank God. Why did the shadow man tell me to be brave? Be brave about what? I looked over at the electronic alarm clock which read 5:57 am. I had to get up anyway to ready myself for school. I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hands and noticed I was still wearing my clothes from the night before. I must've been really tired last night.

My feet found their way to the floor, and I slowly stood up. I grabbed a blue t-shirt, dark blue jeans, and other things I'd be wearing all day. I walked down the hallway and into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. After I closed the door I looked into the mirror.

I had strong features. Rounded jawline, semi-defined cheekbones. I also had this weird color of blondish-brown hair which was like a mix between both my parents hair. My dark blueish-grey eyes came from my father. Usually my glasses look sort of small when I wear them and they rarely ever stay on the bridge of my nose. As much as I'd like to stare at myself in the mirror all day, I must go to school.

I took a shower, got dressed, combed through my hair, and brushed my teeth as quickly as possible. Even though this was my normal routine in the morning something felt different about today. What was it?

I walked down the stairs. The first thing I saw was my parents making breakfast. This is the first time I've ever seen then cooking in the morning. They're usually in the labs by now. I grabbed some orange juice from the fridge then just kind of stood next to it.

"Mother. Father. Why aren't you at work?"

They both quickly looked up from their frying pans to smile at me.

"We thought we would cook breakfast for you and Emma today."

They returned to their work. What's so special about today? It seems unlikely I would forget seeing as I'm Erudite. I must have forgotten while I was having that nightmare.

"Are you nervous for the aptitude testing today?" my mother asks without looking up from the frying pan in front of her.

I nearly choked on a sip of orange juice. Today I'd find out what I am, who I will be.

"Eric? Are you feeling alright?" my father asked.

I stopped coughing and nodded my head.

"Mother could you drive me to school?" I asked, my voice came out wheezy.

She gave me a confused look, "Eric what about your breakfast?"

"Beatrice can have it. I'd like to arrive early to see some of my friends."

This of course was not true due to my lack-of-friends. I wanted a few moments to clear my head. At least I know I won't be Candor because I lie too much.

"Okay I guess I can. Michael please finish cooking these. I'll be back."

My mother pushed her glasses up so they rested on the bridge of her nose. My mother was very thin, you could tell she was once Abnegation. You could almost mistake her for being Factionless if it weren't for her blue Erudite clothing. Her blond locks flowed down to her shoulders. Her face was very defined, cheekbones that appeared to be so sharp they could cut you. She worries more about work than on eating. Same with pretty much every Erudite in the area. Her brown eyes were unique, a very rare eye color among our faction.

My father on the other hand clearly stood out compared to others. He's very tall and muscular, similar to those at his old faction. Brown hair, blue eyes. He is a very intimidating looking man with broad shoulders. The only difference between me and my father was our hair color. He was a Transfer from Dauntless which explains his intimidating looks. He continued to cook breakfast while my mother grabbed her car keys.