Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

There was no way I could stop it, mainly due to the reason that I wasn’t paying that much attention. However, that didn’t take away the fact that I wanted to kill the ass right after his fist nicked my jaw. I wince as I feel the pain in my jaw before charging after the smug faced ass. I watch as his face changes to shock and fear just before I’m grabbed around the waist and hoisted away.

“Put me down dammit!” I wriggle in the iron grasp around my waist, too angry to actually do anything but thrash about.

The next thing I know I’m flat on my ass, looking up at a very stern faced Ryan.

I move to open my mouth and shout at him but stop as he holds out his hand, and he has the look on his face which he only uses when he’s about to blow up.

“What has gotten into you?” His voice is soft yet scary at the same time. His blue eyes are blazing and I know that there was no way I was arguing my way out of this one.

“Your head is in some other world for the last two weeks. You’ve been hit more times in the last five days than you have since your first fight. You realize how long that is right? And on top of that, every time you get hit you go all mental on them as if they hit you for no reason.” Ryan is waving his hands in the air by now and frankly I thought he looked a bit ‘mental’ at the moment. I knew it was the worst time to laugh but Ryan’s ramblings could at times lift my mood. Let’s just say that I’m the only person in this joint that doesn’t cower when Ryan gets angry. At this moment I notice that the area emptied as soon as Ryan’s shouting got worst.

I sit up on the mat, making myself comfortable. The area around us is covered in blue training mats. In the left corner there’s a variety of gym equipment which has seen better days. But Joe, the owner of the gym slash martial arts studio, always says that as long as it did the job, who gave a shit what it looked like. I couldn’t have agreed more with the old, slightly over-weight, bald man, whose voice could crack a few ear drums.

The other corner held a combat platform. It was the same size as a boxing ring, but the floor was fitted with mats. The gym was simple and has been my home for the last twelve years. It might not be much and the mats might have a very weird unknown smell, but it never failed to make me feel safe. Even though it was located in an area most known for its ‘gang’ related crime. I knew every person who came to the gym or attended the mixed martial arts classes or as we call MMA. It was like a big happy family. Well happier than mine at least.

“Leah!” I jump, startled at Ryan’s booming voice as he stares at me as if I have grown a snout. I wiggle my nose just to make sure.

“Yes?” I murmur, giving Ryan my best innocent look.

He shakes his head, heaving a great sigh before plopping down in front of me.

“You didn’t hear a word I said did you?”

“I heard the part about being mental, but in my defence I would call that passion.” I nod my head, proclaiming my innocence.

Ryan rolls his eyes but a small smile tickles his lips. “I don’t really care about those losers, you could’ve beat them up. What I am worried about is the fact that you’ve been zoning out while fighting and you NEVER zone out Lea.” I could see the concern shining in his eyes.

I sigh, leaning my arms on my knees, “You remember that huge underground tourney in New York that finally decided to add a women’s group in it?”

Ryan nods recalling my constant discussion about the event.

“Well, the person putting it together is extremely well-known in the MMA scene and supposedly runs the shit in New York,” I pause as I try to muster up my courage to just say his name, “his name is Lucas Wesley, aka my dad.” Ryan knew the story about my dad, he just didn’t know his name, and being Ryan he never asked.